Causes of arterial gas embolism (AGE): Laryngospasm the most frequent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reports of diving accidents and autopsies that attribute cause of death to arterial gas embolism (AGE) usually don't provide insight on the circumstances that precipitated the barotrauma. That might lead some to mistakenly assume gross diver error.

I can think of three circumstances that would cause AGE:
  • The holding of breath voluntarily during ascent, such as might be done by a panicked diver
  • Laryngospasm during ascent, such as in an unconscious diver or choking diver
  • Disease-related airway obstruction (mucous plug, chronic obstructive lung disease, etc)
Are there other physiologic circumstances that might cause AGE?

Do most require blocking of the trachea or can alveolar areas be damaged just from a rapid rate of ascent in an otherwise healthy lung with the main airways open?

Although it's just conjecture, for victims of AGE who are highly skilled divers, would laryngospasm after becoming unconscious during ascent be the most likely situation?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator, please move this post if in the wrong forum. Thank you.

Dave C

Last edited:
From what I have read of diving deaths, panic and a rapid ascent are the primary cause of scuba diving death by beginners.

At the other end of the spectrum, old divers often suffer heart attacks while diving.

In the middle of these two extremes, there seems to be running out of gas, by intermediate divers, or breathing the wrong deco mix at deeper than appropriate depths, by advanced divers.

There you have the entire rainbow.

You won't find out the causes from autopsy however. Autopsy normally simply states "death from drowning."

Dave, great thread.

Are there other physiologic circumstances that might cause AGE?

Bubbles moving from venous circulation by shunt (ex. PFO or pulmonary) or transpulmonary passage another mechanism to add to your list.

Individual pathophysiology could also come into play. Are the lungs healthy? Many people have blebs they are not aware of and the blebs could cause gas trapping. Is the diver sick (wheezing)? Fluids in the lung could also cause gas trapping.

Although it's just conjecture, for victims of AGE who are highly skilled divers, would laryngospasm after becoming unconsious during ascent be the most likely situation?

This is an interesting question but it begs two more, why was the diver unconscious? and/ or how long was the diver in laryngospasm? Hypoxia will actually cause a laryngospasm to relax and the gas to escape.

Barotrauma and brain infarcts are easily viewable on autopsy. There are procedures that should be taken with diving fatalities that not all pathologists are aware of the differences so greater access and support should allow for better reporting. For more on diving autopsies, download the Caruso from our suggested reading list on diving fatalities. (WARNING: Jim's talk is very graphic as it was intended for Pathologists.)

Dave, great thread.

Bubbles moving from venous circulation by shunt (ex. PFO or pulmonary) or transpulmonary passage another mechanism to add to your list.

Individual pathophysiology could also come into play. Are the lungs healthy? Many people have blebs they are not aware of and the blebs could cause gas trapping. Is the diver sick (wheezing)? Fluids in the lung could also cause gas trapping.

This is an interesting question but it begs two more, why was the diver unconscious? and/ or how long was the diver in laryngospasm? Hypoxia will actually cause a laryngospasm to relax and the gas to escape.

Barotrauma and brain infarcts are easily viewable on autopsy. There are procedures that should be taken with diving fatalities that not all pathologists are aware of the differences so greater access and support should allow for better reporting. For more on diving autopsies, download the Caruso from our suggested reading list on diving fatalities. (WARNING: Jim's talk is very graphic as it was intended for Pathologists.)

Gene, I can't thank you enough for your input and for steering me to Rubicon's extensive compilation of articles on this subject and many others!

(I've gratefully sent a donation to help fund Rubicon's FREE service of compiling and providing these invaluable articles. What a treasure!)

Dr. Caruso's presentation was fascinating.... actually mesmerizing! Your warning about the graphic quality is well-advised for those not accustomed to objective science. Aside from the details of the physiology, the overview of diving accidents and the methodology to determine cause of death was captivating.

I've just finished reading two other articles in this area of Rubicon's vast collection, including one case of AGE occuring in a healthy diver who was repeatedly dunked from the surface down to 10' and back while holding onto a buoy in rough seas. It illustrated how little it takes to overpressurize full lungs and how even simple mistakes or misfortune can quickly turn into disaster. The discussion of autopsy techniques and rationales was helpful.

Regarding my question, numerous scenarios can be imagined how an otherwise healthy, skilled diver might sense he's in trouble and begin an ascent before blacking out, say from a hypoxic mix or from a seizure related to oxygen toxicity. I assume aspiration would soon follow, resulting in laryngospasm and finally barotrauma under some conditions if the laryngospasm lasted long enough for overpressurization of the lungs to occur.

I'll take a look through Rubicon's archives regarding how long it might take for hypoxia to relax a laryngospasm. If it takes as long as a couple minutes, that might be long enough for an ascending diver's lungs to overpressurize. Unfortunately, the other scenario is that the laryngospasm relaxes and he simply drowns.

I've a great deal of respect for the risks inherent in diving and how easily one can lose consciousness for any number of reasons, even as simple as hyperventilation or a small aspiration of water during a mis-timed regulator switch.

If one is alone and the regulator falls out of the mouth, the end is certain. With a buddy, perhaps the regulator could be replaced in the mouth and maintained there as the diver regains consciousness, but it's hard to imagine handling the panic reaction of the stricken diver as he awakens in a coughing fit underwater with someone manipulating his head and mouth.... I wonder if such a rescue has ever been successful.

Anyway, I'm in danger of becoming a summer recluse reading Rubicon's informative articles!

Kindest regards, and again, many thanks for tremendous resource!

Dave C

Last edited:
From what I have read of diving deaths, panic and a rapid ascent are the primary cause of scuba diving death by beginners.

At the other end of the spectrum, old divers often suffer heart attacks while diving.

In the middle of these two extremes, there seems to be running out of gas, by intermediate divers, or breathing the wrong deco mix at deeper than appropriate depths, by advanced divers.

There you have the entire rainbow.

You won't find out the causes from autopsy however. Autopsy normally simply states "death from drowning."

For beginners, it makes sense that panic might be common. Drowning was 58% of the 900+ deaths broken down by Caruso in the recommended presentation. AGE was 12%. Experience wasn't broken down. I'm going to keep looking at this fascinating info.

It really is a detective story to understand many of these diving accidents.

In Gene's suggested reading on the topic of protocols for autopsies of diving accident victims, it appears cause of death can be determined conclusively, if done right.

Rubicon also has other case studies that were very revealing of causes and circumstances, but granted they weren't autopsy reports per se.

I'll definitely apply these nuggets to my own diving! :)

Dave C

The Rubicon archives are indeed an incredible resource, and a real labor of love on the part of Gene and his folks. Not only that, but Gene is kind enough to come on threads like this and give us reading lists! I need to send another contribution to Rubicon; thanks for making me think of it.

WOW! Thanks for the support guys. This has a been a fun project and help covering the expense is REALLY appreciated. I just spent the last two days at the USN Undersea Biomedical Program Review, looks like the remainder of the NEDU Reports will be here soon and then we will start working with US Naval Submarine Medical Research Lab. That collection has a ton of human factors studies as well as effects of immersion and breathing gases that will be a nice addition. (Now we need to find a sponsor for it... :D )

You also will not find much on laryngospasm in our collection. PubMed is the best place to start for that search. These are worth a read if you can get them.

Terndrup et al. Glottal patency during experimental seizures in piglets. Pediatric Research 1995;38:932-7

Leaming et al. Glottal patency during experimental cortical seizures in piglets. Aca Emerg Med 1999;6:682-7

Thanks again for the support!

I think many divers risk going diving when they should not. I have recently had a severe bought with a sinus infection. I called off the extended weekend dive trip. That was three weeks ago. I still have mucus in my lungs, and I can see that it could easily cause and AGE if I went diving today, alyhough I can clear my ears and I "feel" good, I know I still should not be diving. I think many peaple overlook this issue and go diving whenever they feel like it.

.002psi

Back
Top Bottom