Catheter Removal PAIN FREE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fruitographer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got certified for a drysuit and heard a lot about how bad removing the catheter is. So I did quite a bit of research on the best way to remove them easily without pain. A nurse mentioned they use medical adhesive remover at the hospital so I got some and tried it out.

Trying to remove the catheter without the adhesive remover was a nightmare. I tried pinching the tip and peeing which is supposed to fill the catheter up like a balloon and separate it from the skin. This did not work and was quite painful. Then I took a Q-tip with a few drops of adhesive remover on one end and applied some to the back of the catheter. It became very easy to separate and I slowly pulled on the catheter as I rubbed the Q-tip along the area where the catheter met the skin. It was pain free and very easy. There is no way I would ever try to remove a catheter again with out the adhesive remover.

you can find alcohol free no sting remover at many medical stores you also purchase the catheters from. The brand tried was Smith&Nephew Uni-Solve. It was around $11 for 8oz which should last quite a long time. Well worth it in my opinion to have simple pain free catheter removal.

Hope this makes life a little easier for some people.

I have followed this advice with success:

My personal routine:

1 - Shave shaft and trim the remaining manscape. Nothing worse than an unexpected hair removal later on.
2 - Use Rochester Wide Bands of the appropriate size. This goes against all that is manly but if you use their gauge to measure, then pick one size smaller.
3 - Shower the night before rather than the morning of. This gives your body time to create some oils but not enough to cause issues with blowoff. This has made the removal process sooooo much easier and less painful.
4 - Install catheter and secure the glue. This is the fun part. put on hand on each side of your pride and roll it like would putty. Stopp before other things pop up.
5 - Drink lots of liquids and enjoy the dive.
6 - Remove the catheter at the end of the day, not right after the dive. This also makes for less pain and misery.
7 - Make sure to remove all adhesive prior to a second day of diving or the removal gets worse and worse.

I use basically the same process but use baby oil to release the adhesive. Just be ready for some funny looks from your significant other if you leave the bottle out:wink:.

Same - #1, #3 and #6 seem to help the most. It's pretty rare that I have a miserable removal experience these days, and usually the problem comes down to it being while since following tip #1.

And if you're looking for perspective - just remember that the ladies version is 10x more difficult to deal with than ours.

-B

Ya I don't know who came up with pinch the end and pee idea. I tried this method once and only once, it felt like someone stuck a knife up my hoo ha:shocked2:.

Yeah... when I first read that, I was wondering what kind of sadist told you to do that. It's bad enough when you get an accidental kink - but to do it intentionally?

If you use the medical grade adhesive remover it doesn't matter if you trim the hair or not. Since the adhesive is being broke down the hair won't stick and get pulled out. It doesn't sting or cause irritation on the skin. It also makes it easier to remove the adhesive left behind so it doesn't cause problems on multiple days of diving. You can also make sure everything is clean right before applying the catheter to ensure it doesn't blow off. I tested with Rochester wide bands and they came off as if there was no adhesive at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom