Catching a Thief in Bonaire???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I have to agree with the majority of what is said in this thread, with the exception that Curacao is safer...no way...

A few facts:

The majority of the thefts that don't include half consumed beverages, $4.99 sunglasses, etc are theft rings, that are NOT Bonaireans

The police reaction: Yes, they do take a lot of reports, and yes you do not hear about any progress initially. You can't. This is a small island and, unlike major populated areas, leads, etc cannot be announced on the local radio or TV stations, it will blow investigations and the "guilty" will bolt, they normally enter the island illegally, usually via boat and stay with other "illegal friends". (Oh by the way, there is going to be a big crackdown on this, it was just announced in the local newspaper). The police have their versions of "snitches" on the island and other ways to track leads. This must be kept quiet, and confidential. What you all don't hear about, because it's normally posted in the local Papiamentu papers are the raids that happen in the middle of the night, much is recovered and arrests are made, when these "rings" are formed. Over the last couple of years, this has happened maybe 2 x per year. These are also arrests that "stick". This may take a few weeks, so the tourists go home without knowing their stuff may have been recovered. Like in the States, you should have serial numbers, make & model info available for the police. You can call them and then they can get you your recovered items. Now I just don't know how long it will take, but eventually they will.

Another fact, if found guilty of a crime on Bonaire, and the perp decides to appeal the decision and loses ...guess what the sentence is increased 1.5x the original sentence no questions asked.

I'm so tired of hearing about how "bad" crime is on Bonaire. I live here, deal with the island every day, yes we do hear stories, mostly "Oh we left all our camera gear, wallets, etc locked in the car at a remote dive site, with the windows up". They smashed in the windows and took everything. (Duh...) We've heard NO theft stories about "oh we left our windows open and a towel on the seat, and someone broke in and stole our towel...now what does that tell you.

Leave your vehicle unlocked, leave nothing more than a cheap towel and or sunglasses (I put mine under the seat), and a bottle of ice (it will be cold water by the time you finish your dive) in the back of the truck. 99.999 percent of the time you won't be bothered. Also, the back seats pull forward, but your empty camera case (if it is collapsible) back there. Out of sight, out of mine...

Just my 2 cents.

I think we've been to Bonaire about 8 times, the last 4 with other members of our family. I too believe that if you take the proper precautions (just as you would if you had expensive stuff @ home) you will have no problems.

Is there crime. Yes... EVERYWHERE! It's not just a Bonairian problem, just like it's not just an American or European problem. Could I tell you stories about when we lived in the Bahamas & ran our sail/dive charter out of Nassau (New Providence)!!!

Thanks for bringing the information from the island, Liz. It helps dispell some of the myths.

hey nothing to to with bonaire but i had a fellow diver try and steal equipment from a dive boat that i was working on does that count

skippy77:
hey nothing to to with bonaire but i had a fellow diver try and steal equipment from a dive boat that i was working on does that count

No...

Now if you want to start a thread somewhere else on that topic, be my guest.

We were on Bonaire the last week of Jan this year. 2nd day there, someone broke into our neighbor's apt and stoled the safe off their wall. They lost passports, money, and other valubles. We ended up hiding valubles rather than use the safe. The next day a truck was broke into a couple of divesites from us. The divers had locked their wallets in the truck and returned from the dive with a smashed window. For the rest of the week we saw police patroling the dive sites. This was my 5th time there and would go back in a heartbeat. Just use common sense with your valubles.
Tim

If the theft from vehicles is a major concern for you why not hire a car sitter???
Better yet, just take a sun loving, non diving family member with you and go by the market on the first day and get them a foldable lounge chair and a good book. Take soft cooler and stock it well. They'll love you!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom