Catching a Thief in Bonaire???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Bonaire twice now and have never had a problem. As others have said, don't do anything different than you would do at home. I talked to a local instructor at Buddy Dive and he say's that he leaves his vehicle unlocked with nothing in it. So that is what I did. I would put my Visa, license and some coins in my wet suit and call it good. If there is nothing in the car to take you won't have a problem. I would always bring my gear at night but would leave it out during the day.

I've been to Bonaire twice and will go back.

General advice: Don't leave anything in the car that you'd miss. Just leave the windows rolled down and the doors open.

I'd just taken a piece of paper and a pen to note some data to be added to the logbook later. I'd be really :censored: if someone would steal my logbook.

Tom Smedley:
If you follow the same rules there that you do at home you shouldn't have problems. Would you leave dive gear hanging in your front yard at night? Would you leave your car parked downtown with a purse or expensive camera in sight on the front seat?
Actually, I have left dive gear and all sorts of things in my front yard at night and it will always be there in the morning.

I wouldn't leave a purse or camera in view on my front seat downtown (though there's actually pretty good odds it would be fine.) But I would feel very comfortable putting it out of sight in the trunk and have done that in all sorts of places without a problem, which I'm led to believe can't be done in Bonaire.

Ok...the first time we went down...

Our spare tire was stolen and didnt even know it until we returned the truck....I vividly remember the spare being there when we first got the truck....

Anyway....If I seen someone on my porch scrambling around my dive gear...I would have to say I would confront the person...with any means possible...

Not to mention...Im a pretty fast runner and am confident that I could catch someone fleeing from the scene....It just pisses me off that someone steal my stuff...My buddy is a cop in Pittsburgh and I know her would pursue as well....I guess I would wonder what the cops down there would do at all.....Ive heard stories how they are in it as well.....

Oh well....Im still going down anyway...

NightRaven77

I didn't experience a single incidence, but I was careful to not give anyone an opportunity. I did leave my dive gear outside a couple of nights (Plaza Bonaire) and no one bothered it at all.

I have yet to meet anyone who had a significant theft while there.

There are bad folks and there are good folks everywhere. The most that I have ever had stolen from a vehicle was a roll or two of film. This is because I have never left anything more valuable that would have a resale value. We had a truck with only a net for a tailgate one year and one of our gear bags fell out onto the road. We went to the Police station to report the loss for insurance purposes and someone had already turned the bag in. The petty theft really does not justify obsessing over it.

As for chasing down and confronting a thief. Here is an article about the laws concerning self-defense legislation. It reflects very well on the rather liberal Dutch legal system.

From the Bonaire Reporter January 16, 2006
<quote> Parliament is also debating the “Expanded Self-Defense Law.” supporters say that currently attackers can terrorize decent people by breaking into their homes and traumatizing them. The current law protects the criminal. When you defend yourself, you will be treated as a criminal. The onus of proof lies with the victim and that has to be reversed. The proposed amendment to the Penal Code says it’s no longer a crime for a person to defend him- or herself or another person in case someone violently disturbs the peace by entering the dwelling or in close proximity to the property. <End Quote>

Not too worried about the Expanded Self-Defense Law in Bonaire. I'm pretty sure if my boyfriend had caught him, he wouldn't be doing too much talking.

Not one thing that was taken from us had any resale value.
Not a lot of resale value in the half empty bottle of Gatorade.
Old pair of shorts: $1.00 - maybe.
Sunglasses : They cost $4.99 new.
Little cooler: Was a freebie from a sporting event.
Except for the drink & cooler, I am sure the thief was hoping for some money hidden in a pocket. He or she got nothing of value at all.
But my boyfriend & I both lost our dive logs & both our C cards, plus business cards & phone numbers that we had accumulated during our travels. Plus almost a full day of diving on Bonaire, as we filed a police report & walked up & down the road looking for a sign of our books. We never found a thing.
I would not hesitate to return to Bonaire. I thought the island was beautiful & the diving amazing. But as far as theft not being a big deal...spend a few hours sitting in the police station as a parade of tourists come in to file reports. I think you will have a different opinion.

boogeywoogey:
Curacao is nicer and safer..and with more to do post dive.
Spoken like someone promoting the area in which they live! Don't be a cyber vulture!

NetDoc:
I didn't experience a single incidence, but I was careful to not give anyone an opportunity. I did leave my dive gear outside a couple of nights (Plaza Bonaire) and no one bothered it at all.

I have yet to meet anyone who had a significant theft while there.
I had a group of 27 there a few years ago and a bcd was stolen from outside the room..

another trip last year at " sand dollar "a bcd was stolen from the pier while it was drying..

Bonaire is relatively safe but you really can't let your guard down..My understanding is it is a very few individuals on the island that are doing this.What they do with the stuff?? maybe they sell stolen dive equip to other tourists?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom