Catch a Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just try and grab it on the back of it's carapace. In MA we can't use anything but a tickle stick which I find to be more of a PITA than helpful in catching the bugs. Sometimes depending on where the bug is I'll reach behind it in the hole and push it out.

"In MA we can't use anything but a tickle stick " - untrue - you can't use a net, or a spear. Other than that the regulations offer no other restrictions.

however the real ansewr is "very carefully"

Ditto on grabbing from the back around the cacarapace. I have also grabbed them by the cacarapace by reaching between their claws. That sounds unlikley but it's not that hard, you just need to be fast. A 1.5 -2 lbs bug can't hurt you by clawing at your forearm and since they swim backward it makes it easy to get them into the bag. Just line up the bug with the opening of the bag and let go, zip he goes right into the bag.:cool2:

My suggestion: get diving with someone that has experience and would like to show you :) This is the best way to learn. I initially started on my own but was quite unsuccessful, then I got the light from another fellow scubaboarder and there I was, bringing back some bugs for dinner :) This said, I didn't become expert but the skill is not really to get them but rather to find them ! You will see plenty of small bugs, rarely the right size.
So once you know the best spots and have seen bugs that seem decent size, you can work on your skills to get them (and you can train on smaller ones too as long as you are careful not to hurt them).

Have fun and enjoy the dinners to come !

Hopefully with controlled breathing and a steady heart rate.

I would love to do this up there some time.
I am curious though, when you folks grab them by the hand alone, do they get busted up or drop legs and tentacles like ours do down here in Florida?
NOTHING upsets me more than seeing a gravid female with 2 legs on one side, or a "short" missing it's tentacles and a few legs due to mishandling.
This is due to just plain disrespect to the animal on the part of a person who went after it way too aggressively.

Chug
I hope I did not rudely intrude on your Yankee bug thread.

I am curious though, when you folks grab them by the hand alone, do they get busted up or drop legs and tentacles like ours do down here in Florida?

npo grab by the carapace and they stay whole. Depending on how recent the molt was will dictate how fragile they are however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom