Cataract Surgery (Split from Cozumel Reef Closure Thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One my cousins just had his done. His wife did hers in her 40s, by far the youngest that doc ever did. Great improvements for both.

I was 55 and found out in an interesting way in Cozumel. I was using a UV light on a night dive and could not see anything with my right eye. Turns out that that UV frequency is blocked by a cataract. Had my surgery 5 days after return. Both eyes are now 20/20. Amazing stuff. No glasses after 45 years!

99% success rate.
Um, you just may have scared me away. Would you get on a plane that had a 99% chance of not crashing? :D

Um, you just may have scared me away. Would you get on a plane that had a 99% chance of not crashing? :D
Failures are rare with both, but on a plane I actually do review the safety card in the seat pocket, note the exits, stay awake for the briefing (more of a courtesy to the FAs, and I do tend to go to sleep on planes, buses, and ferries as early as possible). For cataract surgery, it's important that your clinic examine for other possible eye problems, and that you follow recovery orders well.

Most people on earth don't have the opportunities we do, but here - if you have Medicare and a good supplement, it'll only cost you the $185 annual deductible. I don't meet that much in medical expenses most years, but it's chickenfeed. I relaxed at my kids' home overnight, went in for the follow-up the next morning, then drove myself home, remaining on light duty. I had a Red Yucca to plant, but there was no rush, and it kept well.

Or you can wait: Cataract Removal: Don’t Wait Till It’s Too Late

Reef closure to Cataracts? Gotta love the WWW :drunks:

You probably don't have a 99% chance of living to your next Cozumel trip.

You probably don't have a 99% chance of living to your next Cozumel trip.
Well, OK, but what has that got to do with anything? That's a risk I cannot decline to take.

I said what I said (mostly) in jest; the decision of whether or not to undergo cataract surgery is likely in my not so distant future. I would hope, though, that the success rate is a bit higher than 99% when I am risking what's left of my eyesight.

Well if you look at it that way, then each eye has a 1% chance of not seeing well, so the chances of being completely sightless is substantial less than 1%.

Well if you look at it that way, then each eye has a 1% chance of not seeing well, so the chances of being completely sightless is substantial less than 1%.

Not quite. Each eye has a better than 50% chance of developing a cataract. Then 99.5% (not 99%). success rate. You can take it from here...

Well, OK, but what has that got to do with anything? That's a risk I cannot decline to take.

I said what I said (mostly) in jest; the decision of whether or not to undergo cataract surgery is likely in my not so distant future. I would hope, though, that the success rate is a bit higher than 99% when I am risking what's left of my eyesight.

I don't really know about this but I researched Lasik a lot before having it done. 99% success doesn't mean 1% lost eyesight. Most of the 1% is simply no improvement, or requires followup action for improvement. And of the fraction that might show deterioration, most are due to failure to screen unviable candidater or not following post-care procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom