Cataract surgery and fundamental changes to vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sitting here almost 24 hrs post-op. Right eye done. Left scheduled for four days from now.

I spent my life with ridiculously acute near vision and miserable distance vision. Cataracts finally took out my sweet spot. I was down to a fuzzy view of life, no 'sweet spot' anywhere anymore.

I dropped my first eye doc (a friend suggested him). He turned out to be too schmoozy for me. Highly competent and accomplished guy, but spends too much energy on 'connecting' with his patients. Found another. Same group, most happy with my new go-to eye doc. He dives so that is a plus too. :wink:

So, to the point. Surgery and an implanted lens can enhance near vision, distance vision, or an overall reduction of correction. I was impressed with how much time he gave me to discuss my options. Being an engineer, I asked: "What would you recommend as the most appropriate fix for my particular condition?" Given the fact that I prefer to wear glasses 24/7 as eye protection, he preferred an overall reduction of strength of prescription. Not my first choice, but I decided to go that route. Glad I did. Right eye, still dialated after almost 24 hours, is now good from about 5' to infinity. Near vision is shot. I'm an adaptable sort, can't wait for the second surgery and progressive lenses. Been nearsighted all my life, now farsighted. Interesting.

Freeform thread, does anyone else have anything to add?

I had both eyes done about 4 years ago and am so glad I did. My vision was horrible. They also fixed an astigmatism in my right eye. I went with fixed focus lenses which the Dr. highly recommended due to my age. I was only 47 at the time and the nurse referred to me as a pediatric patient, LOL. Left eye for distance and right focused at the end of my reach. I wear progressive eyeglasses at work for protection and they work great. Around the house I just use dollar store readers, if anything. I also have progressive, polarized sunglasses.

I was not diving when I had mine done and have just recently started again. I have had to change my dive computer to one with larger numbers in order to make up for the lack of near vision. I went from an Aeris wrist mount to a Sherwood Wisdom 3 console computer, and so far I like it.

One issue I have is with my night vision. In a dark environment I have what I describe as a halo of stars around the perimeter of my vision. It was real bad/annoying right after surgery, but after a few days it wasn't too noticeable unless there is light shining directly at me (night driving can be an issue).

Good luck. Clear vision is wonderful and all too often taken for granted.

I was also a "pediatric" patient at 47. Suffered my whole life from nearsighted vision so opted for the opposite in my latter years. Now have 30/20 for far and wear readers for close up. Use +2 cheaters in my lenses for gauges but my long distance is fantastic underwater.

Similiar story. Terribly nearsighted and I had been wearing hard (now gas permeable) lenses for > 50 years. I opted for monovision (my contacts have been set up that way for a long time). So one eye is 'farsighted', one is nearsighted. Since I spend most of my days in front of a computer screen, I had the doc give me a prescription for reading glasses with a 20" (approx) focal length.

Short answer is I can read my dive computer and gauges without a problem, my 'distance' eye comes in about 20/15. I'm a happy camper !! (now if I could just remember where I left those glasses. . .)

For my cataract surgery two years ago I opted for the more expensive accommodating lenses that actually refocus at different distances. No more glasses needed except for extreme closeups or perfect distance vision. I'm 20/30 now and no longer wear glasses. Wonderful.

Thanks, all! I find your personal experiences most interesting. Thanks for participating.

Still partially dilated, I came in at 20/20 at the post-op check this morning. The doc nailed the correction. Hoping for same for the other eye. So bizarre, my glasses are now inside my eyes...

A takeaway point is that you (as the patient) get to call the shot. Near correction, far correction, and an optional (if needed) out-of-pocket astigmatism correction.

Back
Top Bottom