Catalina right now...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid is correct and both dive shops have web sites... just search on their names on Google and you should get to them.

Dr. Bill

I think I've counted about 6 or 8 of us that will be in Cat this Saturday. Very cool.

I know I'll recognize the red-ice chest schlepping, silver-tongued devil, DrBill. Frank-O will be on the two hour freedive. Hope I can meet some of the rest of you. I'll be the clown resetting my BP/W to fit Moby Tank (the Faber 96 that Arnud is thoughtfully picking up for me....)

We'll be on the old pier for our last dive before catching the 6:30 PM back to LB...moondancing at 55'!

See you there.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I'll be the clown resetting my BP/W to fit Moby Tank (the Faber 96 that Arnud is thoughtfully picking up for me....)

Well, give or take 1CF ... :D

We'll be on the old pier for our last dive before catching the 6:30 PM back to LB...moondancing at 55'!

No more moonwalking for me in a drysuit...

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I think I've counted about 6 or 8 of us that will be in Cat this Saturday. ... Frank-O will be on the two hour freedive.

Alas, I'll be at the Point this weekend, but it will be Sunday morning, not Saturday. If any of you are around, I'll be the guy in a wetsuit etc but no BC, reg or tank, toting three-foot-long blue fins and, as ChrisM says, "a camera in a Fisher-Price red housing with two strobes."

Hope y'all find some great diving.

I second Dr. Bill's comments about this past weekend at the dive park. Very very nice. It was so cool to see the kelp from surface to bottom. Great vis - I would guess 50ft in the morning and not too shabby even at 2pm. And the water temp was not too bad. Our deepest dive was 65 ft and my computer said 64 degrees down there. Saw a monster sheephead (I swear it was over 3ft!), a giant sea bass, a large octopus, and lots of other good stuff. More juvenile garibaldi than I expected.

Great day, the color and light was so much better than it was in August. Can't wait to get back in the water.

Highly recommend Catalina right now...

And the water temp was not too bad. Our deepest dive was 65 ft and my computer said 64 degrees down there

Hmmmm..... My first dive (about 9 a.m.), below the thermocline at about 25 feet, watched my Suunto go from 56 degrees to 66 above the thermocline.

It was cold down there! :)

It was 51 degrees at 85 feet a few weeks ago when Sapphire, Walter and I dove. Although there is a thermocline, it seems to be fairly deep right now.

Just remember, if you come out to the island during the grocery clerks strike we may not have a lot of food for you. They are picketing as I write.

Dr. Bill

ChrisM once bubbled...

Hmmmm..... My first dive (about 9 a.m.), below the thermocline at about 25 feet, watched my Suunto go from 56 degrees to 66 above the thermocline.

It was cold down there! :)

That's strange. Looking at my own Suunto's log, I'm still getting 65 feet and 64 degrees. Were you diving this past Saturday? Were you in a particular part of the park where you hit the thermocline at 25 ft? I wasn't noticing any significant temperature drop anywhere above 50-60 ft on any of the 4 dives we did Sat.

Duimstra,

Suunto is known for being unreliable when it comes to "dat sort of things".

My Stinger shows for Saturday:

55° @ 91 ft at the Sue-Jac
63° @ 80 ft somewhere by the old tires
66° @ 76 ft by the Kismet

Except for the first one, this temps don't make much sense because we hit the thermocline in each instance...

Anyway, the bottom line is that it was cold and the viz was great.

Echoing Arnaud, I should have clarified that they were 56 "Suunto degrees" lol.

I've never seen this much discrepancy, maybe we should just go with an average.

Yup, Saturday, straight out from the stairs, down east to 65 feet about 50 yards, then up and west back to the stairs. I recall the sun coming out, so I noticed the dramatic change at 25 feet, and watched the temp go to 66. It was one of those nice Wayne's World dream sequence visible thermoclines :) .,..... ah well

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom