Catalina / Hawaii Trip 5060 Shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVillanueva

Reaction score
Been in interesting 18 days to say the least. Between the two of us, we took 1300 photographs, of which about 600 were underwater shots. I am posting 15 of the more in-focus ones here to get feedback. Picking these from 600 was difficult -- I picked these because I thought I could leanr pointers from folks willing to offer suggestions. White balance was a nightmare for me -- Lisa met me at our hotel and gave some education, and she helped set it on a couple of dives, but I don't think I was able to apply it consistently as some of the pictures seem "off" in the color department.

I have to admit it, I shot everything in "P" -- it was all I could do to maintain bouyancy and on occasion set the white balance with one hand and watch where my kid was. How anyone can handle more than that is beyond me. I started to hate current, surges, and my BC after a while!

The luckiest thing for us was the Manta Ray dive in that there were no Manta Rays. For that piece of luck I am very grateful. Had we sat and watched and oooooh and ahhhhhhed, we would have never ever seen the spectacular sea floor life at night. The highlight of that night dive was seeing Moray eels hunt -- My god! I am surprised they are not extinct. Talk about clumsy and lacking aim! Still, we saw a success: An eel slithering up behind this big old buttery fly fish or tang or whatever, struck, grabbed hold, could not get the fish down (it was big), spat it back out, struck again, catching the fish from the side and folding the fish in half from snout to tail like a sandwich. I shall never forget those loud cracking sounds as the backbone and host of other bones snapped.... The eel got the fish into its throat, and to my horror, you could see the fish inside straighten itself out, and try to wriggle back up the throat. I remember thinking all this just took place place not 2 feet in front of me...

It was then and only then I remembered I had a camera.

I do think the fish behavior off of Catalina was way more interesting than in the Islands. We got swarmed by fish -- I cannot figure why, but suddenly we were surrounded by lots of fish that were clearly after something. Then as quickly as they came, they vanished. Naturally, I was rattled, and my daughter was crying -- we were sorta batting them away from us, but they kept coming.

Please offer any photography advice as well as identification. Fortunately for the board, I can only post 15! Still, I am sharing these because two months ago I would have never thought of diving, much less underwater photography.

Thanks for all the advice and PMs given re my previous posts!

Michael

For all being taken in P, they are great. I especially love the one of Angelita snorkling.

I really like the Frogfish, good composition. Considering you were using P mode with slow shutter speeds, I think you did great!

Seeing the eel hunting and catching his dinner is cool. I still get so into watching stuff I forget to take the picture. My first whale shark came on went while I hung there with my camera dangling at the end of my arm!

BTW...I hate you for the frogfish! :D My shots of the only one I've ever seen are fuzzy!

Great pics Michael. Did you run out of "moisture munchers?" for inside your camera?

Tried getting a hold of you when you were still on Oahu to find out details on the flood incident, give some info on great Oahu dive spots, no reply to the e-mail.

Glad the trip went well.

BTW, we lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, probably headed back there.

Jeff

What hardware are you using for those of us unfamiliar with you?

MVillanueva:
Been in interesting 18 days to say the least. Between the two of us, we took 1300 photographs, of which about 600 were underwater shots. I am posting 15 of the more in-focus ones here to get feedback. Picking these from 600 was difficult -- I picked these because I thought I could leanr pointers from folks willing to offer suggestions. White balance was a nightmare for me -- Lisa met me at our hotel and gave some education, and she helped set it on a couple of dives, but I don't think I was able to apply it consistently as some of the pictures seem "off" in the color department.

I have to admit it, I shot everything in "P" -- it was all I could do to maintain bouyancy and on occasion set the white balance with one hand and watch where my kid was. How anyone can handle more than that is beyond me. I started to hate current, surges, and my BC after a while!

The luckiest thing for us was the Manta Ray dive in that there were no Manta Rays. For that piece of luck I am very grateful. Had we sat and watched and oooooh and ahhhhhhed, we would have never ever seen the spectacular sea floor life at night. The highlight of that night dive was seeing Moray eels hunt -- My god! I am surprised they are not extinct. Talk about clumsy and lacking aim! Still, we saw a success: An eel slithering up behind this big old buttery fly fish or tang or whatever, struck, grabbed hold, could not get the fish down (it was big), spat it back out, struck again, catching the fish from the side and folding the fish in half from snout to tail like a sandwich. I shall never forget those loud cracking sounds as the backbone and host of other bones snapped.... The eel got the fish into its throat, and to my horror, you could see the fish inside straighten itself out, and try to wriggle back up the throat. I remember thinking all this just took place place not 2 feet in front of me...

It was then and only then I remembered I had a camera.

I do think the fish behavior off of Catalina was way more interesting than in the Islands. We got swarmed by fish -- I cannot figure why, but suddenly we were surrounded by lots of fish that were clearly after something. Then as quickly as they came, they vanished. Naturally, I was rattled, and my daughter was crying -- we were sorta batting them away from us, but they kept coming.

Please offer any photography advice as well as identification. Fortunately for the board, I can only post 15! Still, I am sharing these because two months ago I would have never thought of diving, much less underwater photography.

Thanks for all the advice and PMs given re my previous posts!

Michael

Odd... I thought I sent you several emails, and I thought I called as well. Man... I am loosing my mind!!! My last bit of mosture munch was soaked on the dive boat... but when I got back to albuquerque, my missing dessicant showed up.

Good lord!! Why on earth would you want to come back here??? After being there?? And I thought I was loosing my mind! Where did you live when you were here?

jwlast:
Great pics Michael. Did you run out of "moisture munchers?" for inside your camera?

Tried getting a hold of you when you were still on Oahu to find out details on the flood incident, give some info on great Oahu dive spots, no reply to the e-mail.

Glad the trip went well.

BTW, we lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, probably headed back there.

Jeff

Shasta_man:
What hardware are you using for those of us unfamiliar with you?

Basic Oly 5060 in an Oly underwater housing. Internal flash. Camera set to automatic. I gig card and 32MB XD card. AND..... the whole trip done on one battery (ha!). Attached to BC via an overpriced coiled lanyard.

Nothing sexy or seductive about my set-up.

The frog fish is the yellow guy, right?

What are those two weird looking fish laying on that rock? Each one seemed to be about 14 inches in length; and not one of them batted an eye or a fin no matter how close I got.

Dee:
I really like the Frogfish, good composition. Considering you were using P mode with slow shutter speeds, I think you did great!

Seeing the eel hunting and catching his dinner is cool. I still get so into watching stuff I forget to take the picture. My first whale shark came on went while I hung there with my camera dangling at the end of my arm!

BTW...I hate you for the frogfish! :D My shots of the only one I've ever seen are fuzzy!

MVillanueva:
The frog fish is the yellow guy, right?

What are those two weird looking fish laying on that rock? Each one seemed to be about 14 inches in length; and not one of them batted an eye or a fin no matter how close I got.

Yeah, the ugly yellow lumps are Frogfish. The other two weird ones are Scorpionfish.

You need to get an ID book! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom