Catalina Express Checking Weight of Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin:
Anyone been on the Catalina Express recently? Are they still weighing dive bags/boxes?
I was on last Saturday out of Long Beach Downtown Landing and had no issues...no one weighing bags. I had my Pelican 1650 case, buddies dive bag and 2 tanks on a fold-up hand truck and had no one ask to weigh anything...Seemed like old times to me. There were a few folks with the big Stanley boxes and they had no issues as well.

That's good to hear. I got weighed the last time i was there in mid june. Got pushed through with no problem. I am going again this weekend so for kicks I weighed by Stanley box, filled with the same gear, and it is 68 lbs w/o tank & weights. Thats a 7mil, vest, booties, gloves, mask, BP/W w/steel plate, regulator and a save a dive box. Really the bare minimum for a trip to the dive park.

That's good to hear. I got weighed the last time i was there in mid june. Got pushed through with no problem. I am going again this weekend so for kicks I weighed by Stanley box, filled with the same gear, and it is 68 lbs w/o tank & weights. Thats a 7mil, vest, booties, gloves, mask, BP/W w/steel plate, regulator and a save a dive box. Really the bare minimum for a trip to the dive park.

It probably wouldn't get you down under 50 pounds, but you could put your plate on your cylinder (without the wing)....and maybe even the regs, assuming you have a good way to secure them and ensure the hoses don't get smashed. But that'd probably only get you own to around 60 pounds....

I thought about putting the BP/W on the cylinder, and the regs in my backpack, then putting them back in the rolling box at the bottom of the ramp before going up the gang plank.

Anyone been on the Catalina Express recently? Are they still weighing dive bags/boxes?

I took the San Pedro boat in mid July, no problems at all.. Boat was almost empty (on a Sat. am), crew rolled our tanks in for us.. Long Beach seems to be the only one that is imposing restrictions.

Getting on board, the guy lifted the handle of my big Stanley and said, "good!" and away I went. :wink:

I'm just glad they don't weigh ME when I travel on the Express! Heading over this weekend for some diving, but I don't need to take my tank. However, my weight belt alone is 36 lbs!

Luckily they don't include weights unless they are inside your dive box. I carry mine separately.

I haven't heard much about this lately. Has anyone tried hauling a full rig (gear bag, doubles, deco bottle, drysuit bag) over lately? We're looking to go in the near future, but not if we're gonna get hassled about our gear.

Thanks,
K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom