Catalina Cleanup Weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I vaguely remember seeing something in California Diver news about a Catalina Cleanup Weekend/Day. I think the dates were in Feb. Does anyone have details about a cleanup event? Since this would be my first experience on a cleanup, I'd like to know if others have participated. If so - did ya have a good time? Any 411 would be greatly appreciated, as always!

Also check out the Catalina Conservancy Divers web site at http://www.ccd.org for further information.

Should be some interesting things in Avalon Bay after the two early season nor'easters this year. If anyone finds my bifocals, I'd love to get them back!

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Should be some interesting things in Avalon Bay after the two early season nor'easters this year. If anyone finds my bifocals, I'd love to get them back!

Dr. Bill

You do not wear bifocals. A young, strong buck such as yourself? :wink:

Good to see you today. Great diving. Completely exceeding my expectations. We got on the return boat just as the rain started... couldn't be more perfect.

I'll see you Sat the 15th.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Great diving. Completely exceeding my expectations. We got on the return boat just as the rain started... couldn't be more perfect.

How was the viz today? Must have been nice to hit Catalina this weekend. :( I came down with a bad flu and had to cancel everything - hotel, New Year's eve Gala and fancy dinner, Catalina express... whine, whine, whine.

Lexy:
How was the viz?

The crossing was smoov. The park was empty (save for DrB, Karen, Kev and a few nare-do-wells...) The tide was high, so enties and exits were effortless. The weather was sunny and warm - shorts weather all day. The rain didn't start to fall until we were getting on the return boat at 5:30 PM.

Warren dove with Jaye and I. This is becoming our annual "Dive with a Canadian" trip. We get to see this animal dive wet in 50-some degree water and tell us how warm it is - as he moves from one ice diving story to the next. :wink:

It was the best trip of the year. Hoz viz was over 50' - vertical viz was at least that... probably more. No current - I mean NONE. Vertical kelp all through the park. You rarely see that. Zillions of Blacksmith on the SueJack, octo on the reef, lots of huge Calico. It was an excellent day to dive. We missed you and Laurel and everyone else who couldn't make it. Hope you're feeling better.

---
Ken

I am glad you all had a good dive and wish I would have changed my plans. But, the newspapers kind of talked me out of it, the gloomy forcast and their vis report just took the wind out of my sails for diving, I went to the desert instead.

I am going to check out these links for the clean up, thanks.

PS-Dr. Bill how did your shark dive go?

Mo2vation:
It was an excellent day to dive. We missed you and Laurel and everyone else who couldn't make it. Hope you're feeling better.
Ken

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! I wish I could have gone. I was thinking about you all, though.

I hope the weather next Sunday is similar next Sunday for my dives at Farnsworth! :scubadive:

Will definately see you at the clean-up! I am going over with a bunch of SOCDC club members for the weekend. Can't wait!

L

JDog:
PS-Dr. Bill how did your shark dive go?

The white shark dive was great although forecasted weather forced us to abort Guadalupe early. Check out my web site for pictures of the sharks (in the video images section) as well as a three-part story about the trip (in my "Dive Dry" newspaper columns... see links below).

Good to see Ken, Jaye and Warren at the park yesterday. Would have been fun to dive with you guys too, but I only managed one dive (on the Valiant) with Karen and Kevin. They caught their boat in a calm between rain squalls.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom