Castrol aircol sn100, is it ok for Cblending?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_sav

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Buggers over here suited my Bauer II up with synthetic oil being, Castrol Aircol SN100

Can anyone tell me whether it is a known suitable oil for Nitrox continuous blending.

I would really appreciate it if someone could bounce back, otherwise I am going to have to import another oil, and put my Bauer through another oil change.

Regards.

Hi,

Buggers over here suited my Bauer II up with synthetic oil being, Castrol Aircol SN100

Can anyone tell me whether it is a known suitable oil for Nitrox continuous blending.

I would really appreciate it if someone could bounce back, otherwise I am going to have to import another oil, and put my Bauer through another oil change.

Regards.

Aircol should be drained and replaced with something else. It is a refrigeration lube not recommended for breathing air. It is difficult to recommend types and sources not knowing the situation. However, Bauer compressor oil, Anderol 500, Anderol 755, Ultrachem Chemlube 751, Nuvair 455 would be suitable.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/eastshore/documents/applicant/afc/volume02/Appendix 8.12B.pdf

I see you are in Aus/south seas. It might be easier to locate Shell Corena AP 100.

OK,

I have found a local supplier for LM750. Possibly I might be able to get Shell AP 100 Corena as well.

Based on either of the above two, what is the general consensus.

Either way I am probally going to have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.

We get totally screwed over here.

Close to $50 litre.

Australia Dwyer want USD$430 for a digital gauge dpg-111 that I can buy in the US for $240.

Thank god for free trade. Unfortunately Oils are a bit harder to ship.

Appreciate feed-back on the above two oils.

Regards.

LM 750 is a 40 weight synthetic similar to Anderol 750 and Chemlube 751. I believe it is approved for Bauer compressors. It should perform satisfactorily when pumping NITROX. The high viscosity may be beneficial when pumping in hot climates. More frequent changes are recommended for any of the oils when the compressor is used in NITROX service. (ka-ching).

Hi Pescador775

Cheers - I appreciate the response. AirSpeed Press has just processed my Card so I should have the well regarded Oxyhackers manual getting ready to ship over, along with the Regulator Manual as well.

Now that I have soughted my Oil issue, I am moving on to determine what, if any, extra filtration I should have between the P21 Triplex, and my Tanks.

I have been looking at general filtration threads, However, I would like a one stop solution for a Bauer Junior II 3.5cfm.

Ideally a solution that can be adequately shipped to the land of Oz.

Extra filtration is not required for purposes of pumping NITROX through the Junior. Just observe the guidelines for cartridge change out. However, if it is decided to fill tanks by the partial pressure method, and if a large number of tanks were involved, it might be advisable to add an in-line filter. This could be purchased locally or made up from a hydraulic accumulator such as available from Sheldon Sporting Goods. The purpose of this would be to extend and refine the filtration process. In the USA, this is carried to extremes and called "hyper filtration" which costs a fortune. However, such expensive measures are not necessary unless undertaken purely as an insurance requirement or anti-litigation measure. My suggestion would be to practice low pressure blending using a home made stik or DNAX and forget PP mixing. Add an in-line filter which can be hand packed to extend service time. Oxygen Hacker's Companion will clarify many points. Good luck.

Pescador and mr_sav Thanks for the support, I am talking with an individual in Australia on this same subject and may propose a solution which will give him so extra filtration but not overkill. As we progress I'll keep everyone updated By the way - check spelling of Shelden "den not don" -- with web site some have not found me because of spelling.
I think one additional chamber is going to be sufficient if the triplex chamber on the Bauer can be changed to a cartridge with Linde 13X.

Thanks, frogman62
Jim Shelden

Hi,

Pescador, thanks for the input.

Frogman62 - I am the guy you are liaising with (mr_sav).

I have a blending stik, ready to go. Just need to sort out oil in the compressor, and get the necessary length of food-grade hosing, along with making a fitting for the Bauer Inlet.

I would appreciate it if people could suggest what they have done for an inlet fitting on a Bauer.

Regards,

mr_sav

The Junior is supplied with a rigid intake tube which slips into the top of the filter adapter. One might saw off the tube or substitute a fitting and attach a clear, plastic hose. Food grade tubing is used in the dairy industry and beverage industry. It is labeled PVC or vinyl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom