Casa Mexicana - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The accomodation section of my Cozumel review!

Casa Mexicana is absolutely awesome. Quite possibly the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The lobby is on the first floor and there are escalators to take you up. The lobby area has a small "soaking" pool which is 1 foot and 3 foot deep, a small bar and lounge chairs which overlook the ocean.

We stayed in an Ocean view room on the 4th floor (list price I think is about 120 for double occupancy and includes breakfast and is well worth the tiny premium you pay for the view and balcony). Wonderful view. The room was very clean with white plaster walls, air conditioning, nice bathroom, TV and a small dorm sized fridge with a freezer compartment (we turned it to max and had "ice" in our coke). The balconys are private so perfect if you want to get that all over tan, or just want a good place to dry your gear. The bed was very firm (firmer than most american beds) but was very comfortable.

Breakfast was wonderful. A selection of juices, pastries (and sometimes flan), yoghurts, fresh fruit, a nice chef to make you an omlette of your choice and usually 6 other options which included variously: refried beans, french toast, waffles/pancakes, hash browns, bacon/sausages, scrambled eggs, something made out of tortillas with a tomoato sauce and sometimes chicken. The breakfast area has a bunch of trees in it in the middle as well. It's perfect for a pre-dive meal and kept us going from 7.30 through to about 2.30/3.00 when we got back and washed our gear.

Rooms are cleaned daily and each day our towels were arranged into an animal (towel origami - who'd have thought of it) my favourtie was the elephant, but the ray was more appropriate for us.

Water is filtered and we had no problems drinking it.

Go to the Punta Langosta plaza area for the best exchange rates (towards the back). Upstairs there is a gourmet deli/pharmacy kind of place next to Senor Frogs Clothesline. You can get a sandwich there for 1.60 USD (which beats the crap out of the 7 USD subway equivelent).

Location-wise it is great. It is next to the Vista Del Mar. About 5-10 minutes walk into the middle of downtown and the "square". Going the other way you 1 minute from Senor Frogs and Carlos n Charlies (apparently a happening place, but it stunk of stale beer so we didn't venture in). Despite being so close to the "party bars" it was very quiet. are 10-15 minutes from Chedrui (?) a supermarket for those munchies and bottled water if you so desire. About 7 minutes (with diving gear) to the Barracuda where our dive op (Equalizers)picked up. Some dive ops (like Cha Cha and Aqua Safari) pick up right in front of the hotel.

Just so you are aware the only beaches you will see in this section of the island are at beach clubs/all inclusives. No beach to be lounged on in this part of town. The Barracuda boasts a beach but it is about the size of a tennis court and very man made. But right in front of Casa Mexicana you can snorkel. I did on our last day and saw angel fish, anemones, blennys, sea urchins a trumpet fish, small barracuda, school masters and a schoal of small fish which were like neon tetras - all less then 25 yards from the shore and all in less than 10 feet of water!

Food in Coz is great. Casa Dennis, O Rilleys, La Mission were all great. Prima was good but IMO over rated and no better than surf and turf from Outback!

To quote my wife - We don't stay in places like this! Well when we go to Cozumel again we will try and stay there again. I can't give anywhere a higher recommendation than that.

I leave tomorrow AM and am staying at Casa Mexicana. I'm looking forward to it based on your review!

DrSteve:
.......................Casa Mexicana is absolutely awesome. Quite possibly the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The lobby is on the first floor and there are escalators to take you up. The lobby area has a small "soaking" pool which is 1 foot and 3 foot deep, a small bar and lounge chairs which overlook the ocean.....
DrSteve,
Thanks for your report!

We agree with you, Casa Mexicana is absolutely awesome ..the staff were wonderful too!

Did you get the extra pad for the Bed? They offered one and we found that it helped a lot...

We plan to stay at Casa Mexicana on our next trip! It is hard to wait!

Great diving and a Great Hotel!

AZ Divers

It was a pleasure meeting you and Karen! We also loved the Casa Mexicana. Sorry we suggested Prima's for dinner!

Scubagal:
It was a pleasure meeting you and Karen! We also loved the Casa Mexicana. Sorry we suggested Prima's for dinner!
Hi Connie! Sorry I forgot to add that you could meet interesting and nice scubaboard members if you stay at the Casa Mexicana! It was great meeting you too! Guess what? Karen has signed up for the advanced courses!

Glad to hear Karen is taking more courses! I'm sure she's a terrific diver. I'm considering taking a rescue course this summer. Are you guys going through Cozumel withdrawl yet? We sure are!

Scubagal:
Glad to hear Karen is taking more courses! I'm sure she's a terrific diver. I'm considering taking a rescue course this summer. Are you guys going through Cozumel withdrawl yet? We sure are!
Withdrawal symptoms started on the day we visited Chichen Itza and so far haven't improved. I actually decided I would take the Stress and Rescue course this year as well. By the time I do the dives I'll have my 50 for Master Diver and then I can consider DiveCon and moving to Cozumel :) It's pouring with rain here and the local wrecks are around 50F (although NC wrecks are in the 70's). How are your symptoms?

DrSteve:
Withdrawal symptoms started on the day we visited Chichen Itza and so far haven't improved. I actually decided I would take the Stress and Rescue course this year as well. By the time I do the dives I'll have my 50 for Master Diver and then I can consider DiveCon and moving to Cozumel :) It's pouring with rain here and the local wrecks are around 50F (although NC wrecks are in the 70's). How are your symptoms?

I keep dreaming about diving! So sad to wake up and realize I'm no where near the ocean. In the past we've always tried to make dive trips to new places, but we are both hooked on Cozumel!

I guess this is why we all have different tastes. We were booked there for our trip last month and had poor experience. We arrived and we saw the pool was about 1/2 the size of our pool at home. I requested a room on the top floor so we could escape more of the street noise. The elevators were broken according to the bellman and would not be fixed for "we don't know how long". Two criuse ships sitting right out front and I had asked in several emails if the pier was out front. They said no. I did not want to stare at cruise ships for 10 days from my "ocean view". We never checked in and went to our back up plan......FA. We really enjoy it and should not have tried something different.

Prima....IOO, has the best lobster on the island. We eat there at least twice every trip and never order anything else. For 210 ps why eat anything other than lobster. Casa Mission is way overrated and very bland. Everything tastes the same.

Guess this is why there are so many great places for all of us to enjoy in our favorite place called COZ. Can't wait to go back in Sept. Glad you had a great time!

5615mike:
I guess this is why we all have different tastes. We were booked there for our trip last month and had poor experience. We arrived and we saw the pool was about 1/2 the size of our pool at home.

All valid points and very surprising. We were on the 4th floor and didn't suffer to much with street noise and only had 1 larger cruise ship on the Punta Lagosta pier the whole time. They were correct when they told you they weren't in front of the cruise ship pier - the pier is next to Paradise reef which is round from the Barracuda. There was some construction going on to install filtered/purified water to the island from a main source but that was only a problem one night and nothing to do with the hotel.

Such a shame :(

Back
Top Bottom