Casa Mexicana Breakfast Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One difference is that in the first case the preparer cracks fresh eggs out of the fridge while in the second the eggs have been cooked for some period of time and hopefully kept in sanitary conditions until they are served.
Hopefully. Who would know if you order eggs that they don't put eggs on the plate that were already prepared.

On the flip side, with the buffet you can see what you're getting and you get it immediately.

Hopefully. Who would know if you order eggs that they don't put eggs on the plate that were already prepared.

I'd know -- that's a side-effect of always ordering with some minor change (ie., "omelet, sin jamon", or "huevos revueltos con championes").

One difference is that in the first case the preparer cracks fresh eggs out of the fridge while in the second the eggs have been cooked for some period of time and hopefully kept in sanitary conditions until they are served.

If there's really a doubt about whether the food you're being served was kept in sanitary conditions, why eat from that place at all?

I don't worry about that at Casa Mexicana, at all.

If there's really a doubt about whether the food you're being served was kept in sanitary conditions, why eat from that place at all?
I was only answering the "what's the difference" question between buffet and made to order food. I made no judgement as to which is better.

Closing the buffet and going to table service sucks in my opinion for both the guests and the staff but it is what it is. If I were to guess, the one who benefits is Pepe who owns the CM and now only has to pay for a minimal amount of made-to-order or pre-ordered breakfast food on a horribly limited menu... The staff is there regardless. However, this is MX and no one ever said MX policy be it health or otherwise makes much sense but same can be said about the USA I guess.

I'm here at Casa Mexicana at the moment. You order from a menu & it's made to order. Breakfast was very fast this morning, 10 mins or so for an omelette & fruit bowl

I'm here at Casa Mexicana at the moment. You order from a menu & it's made to order. Breakfast was very fast this morning, 10 mins or so for an omelette & fruit bowl
A question to anyone who has been to the Casa Mex in the last month or two--Did you see any sign that it might be winding down or going under financially? We were there in June (2021) and, except for a little less maintenance, it seemed to have survived the covid storm shutdowns.* However, two days ago, when making arrangements through Delta Vacations (DV) for a trip next February, I found that Casa Mex has lost--or cancelled--their contract to provide rooms for DV travel packages. I realize that this may be because Delta has essentially backed out of Cozumel.

My friends and I have been staying at the Casa Mex a couple of times a year for at least 15 years. Sure would hate to see anything happen to it.
* The staff at Casa Mex told me last summer that the reason they have not reopened the buffet is that the city will not give them the permits due to the potential covid exposure. Believe it or not...........

I found that Casa Mex has lost--or cancelled--their contract to provide rooms for DV travel packages. I realize that this may be because Delta has essentially backed out of Cozumel.
This would be my guess. Since Delta isn’t flying into Cozumel any longer then they wouldn’t have associated hotels there. Do you see other Cozumel hotels still listed?

I just returned on Friday- the hotel was full (there was a big bicycle event on the island, plus a business event and normal divers/tourists).

It seemed to be fully staffed, they were constantly cleaning and I was very impressed with how the floors always seemed to be spotless in the lobby and on the fifth floor (where I stayed). They were doing maintenance on the escalators, the pool, and had daily housekeeping available of you desired.

The first day (with the huge bike crowd) they did off-menu breakfast in the lobby.

The next few days were buffet in the atrium area on second floor (but you had to go to lobby and take the stairs). I say "buffet" but it was more made-to-order.

The last day it was full on buffet, where the staff served from behind plexiglass.

If anything, it seemed either Suites Bahia or Colonial would close if they do not reopen soon. Both looked to be closed, and in desperate need of upkeep when I walked by.

This would be my guess. Since Delta isn’t flying into Cozumel any longer then they wouldn’t have associated hotels there. Do you see other Cozumel hotels still listed?
I was dealing with an agent of Delta Vacations on the telephone. She offered as a replacement either the El Cid (La Cieba) or the Allegro at "slightly higher prices." Those are a long way away from where we are used to being downtown. Apparently, there were others on Cozumel that she didn't mention specifically, so Delta Vacations is still doing some business there. That is what led to my questions.

Eventually, I called the admin people at Casa Mexicana directly and got a better price than through any of the other travel packagers (Apple, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc). Further, there is an interesting exchange rate situation with American Express that lowers the effective price 6 or 7% (too complicate to explain here; I sort of fell into it by accident).

Back
Top Bottom