Carysfort with Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok- been to Key Largo 7 years now and have not made it to Carysfort. Think I am going on a trip this year with Silent World. Has anyone done this trip with them? How was the boat? Was the boat ride long? What part of the reef should I ask to dive? I read that there are canon in the area - has anyone seen these? Thanks

Ok- been to Key Largo 7 years now and have not made it to Carysfort. Think I am going on a trip this year with Silent World. Has anyone done this trip with them? How was the boat? Was the boat ride long? What part of the reef should I ask to dive? I read that there are canon in the area - has anyone seen these? Thanks
I did a couple of years ago. CF is a nice dive. The boat ride was fine but I do not remember the time. Their boat is docked at the upper end of Key Largo so that will save you some time. We dove a section called Carysfort Deep - maybe 70 to 80 feet - for 20 minutes or so and then burned off gas at 20 to 30 feet. You can not go wrong with this dive. I have not seen the cannon.

carysfort and south carysfort are terrific reef tracts rarely dove(in comparison to other upper keys reefs) and well worth a visit. silent world is the only operator iv'e observed outside of the dive/snorkel vessel located @ ocean reef(private club). ask if you can do a double and i suggest the dropoff near the lighthouse or the trench north and finish up on the shallow sites on south carysfort. numerous other great deep sites not buoyed(where we dive and included in my reports). the cannon sites that i'm aware of are shallow and north and west of the lighthouse and more suitable for snorkeling in my view. watsons reef(shallow) is another option midway between carysfort and the elbow. i have posted a fair # of trip reports on carysfort in the last year including this past week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

carysfort and south carysfort are terrific reef tracts rarely dove(in comparison to other upper keys reefs) and well worth a visit. silent world is the only operator iv'e observed outside of the dive/snorkel vessel located @ ocean reef(private club). ask if you can do a double and i suggest the dropoff near the lighthouse or the trench north and finish up on the shallow sites on south carysfort. numerous other great deep sites not buoyed(where we dive and included in my reports). the cannon sites that i'm aware of are shallow and north and west of the lighthouse and more suitable for snorkeling in my view. watsons reef(shallow) is another option midway between carysfort and the elbow. i have posted a fair # of trip reports on carysfort in the last year including this past week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I have seen them, the reports are what got me interested. Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Garden Cove Ops i.e. Silent World and Atlantis are nicely positioned to offer the Carysfort experience. I don't know of any others that sched a regular dive to the North End. I'm associated with the Pennekamp Park operators and we have tentatively added Carysfort to our regular itenerarry (sp) on Tuesdays and Saturdays on the afternoon dive. (Elbow, Carysfort). More fuel, more time, but we'd like to offer our guests an alternative to the overused South End of the Sanctuary. Nice going, Silent World.

Garden Cove Ops i.e. Silent World and Atlantis are nicely positioned to offer the Carysfort experience. I don't know of any others that sched a regular dive to the North End. I'm associated with the Pennekamp Park operators and we have tentatively added Carysfort to our regular itenerarry (sp) on Tuesdays and Saturdays on the afternoon dive. (Elbow, Carysfort). More fuel, more time, but we'd like to offer our guests an alternative to the overused South End of the Sanctuary. Nice going, Silent World.

That is good to know thnx. Too far with my boat

That is good to know thnx. Too far with my boat

not for me! for the record; slates(atlantis) boats don't visit carysfort anymore and garden cove is now known as key largo dive center, their boat now out of port largo. petrol prices and time constraints are an issue for dive operators treking north to carysfort. as of today, silent world is best positioned for trips to this reef and i doubt they go there on a regular basis (their website says they do). nice to see another operator(pennekamp)planning on trips in the future. i'd call and plan well ahead whom ever you choose,,,

reefman
key largo

CF is a little further up. It can't be a terribly long ride as SW tends to send the same boat out again in the afternoon so it has to be back at the dock and ready for the next trip by ~12:30ish. They run a good op. I'm not sure that CF is amazingly special other than that it's not dove as frequently. Worth doing, but not sure I'd go out of my way for it.

I wanted to dive Carysfort on my last trip. Silent World was the only operation that I could find that went there but they did not have that trip on their schedule the week I was there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom