Carrying a Pony....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 19 cf pony bottle that I recently acquired. I want to start using it but I'm not exactly sure how to set it up to carry. I dive with a BP/W and mostly a single tank. I've seen divers that carry pony's in the front and others with brackets on their tanks. What are the pros and cons? Does anyone have photos or a web site for information on how to sling the bottle?

Slinging it in front like a stage/deco bottle means you can easily reach the valve, read the SPG, see bubbles or a freeflow, and hand it off to another diver if necessary.

I use doubles if I want redundancy but if I were to use pony I'd use at least a 30 cft, but since you've got a 19 cft I'd be tempted to just mount it to my main tank. If it was a 30 cft or a 40 cft then I'd sling it in front.

motorcitydiver:
I have a 19 cf pony bottle that I recently acquired. I want to start using it but I'm not exactly sure how to set it up to carry. I dive with a BP/W and mostly a single tank. I've seen divers that carry pony's in the front and others with brackets on their tanks. What are the pros and cons? Does anyone have photos or a web site for information on how to sling the bottle?

I would recommend slinging on the front, rigged like a stage bottle. My opinion is that this should be treated as a competely independent gas source with the 2nd stage 'stowed'. You should keep the standard 1st + (2) 2nd's on your main tank and keep you standard gas plan. The pony, IMHO, is 'your' personal reserve that your buddy is supposed to be reserving for you.

When you do you gas plan, rockbottom's etc, ignore the pony and treat it as if it didn't exist. This makes it truly your gas. It also simplifies gas emergencies underwater. If you go OOA or LOA, for whatever reason, you have either your buddy or your pony. If you buddy goes OOA or LOA, he has the 'reserve' in your backgas. You would still have your reserve if it was needed.

in_cavediver:
I would recommend slinging on the front, rigged like a stage bottle. My opinion is that this should be treated as a competely independent gas source with the 2nd stage 'stowed'. You should keep the standard 1st + (2) 2nd's on your main tank and keep you standard gas plan. The pony, IMHO, is 'your' personal reserve that your buddy is supposed to be reserving for you.

When you do you gas plan, rockbottom's etc, ignore the pony and treat it as if it didn't exist. This makes it truly your gas. It also simplifies gas emergencies underwater. If you go OOA or LOA, for whatever reason, you have either your buddy or your pony. If you buddy goes OOA or LOA, he has the 'reserve' in your backgas. You would still have your reserve if it was needed.

What he said. With a slung AL 19, you don't have to adjust your weights.

I personally think a 19 is too small to bother slinging... If you end up going that way I'd suggest at least a 30, 40 would be even better. The 19 will nestle up on the side of your tank quite nice, especially since you are diving a wing. I prefer the reef scuba brackets myself. They are very stable (when rigged right). Jumped off boats with one for years and never had an issue.

123Scuba.com:
I personally think a 19 is too small to bother slinging... .

Why? Where is the bother?

Well, I have no issue with a pony that size on my back. Even though I'm a smaller person I have no problems with trim. I barely even notice it, I notice my sling bottle... Also, when I do sling bottles it's because I'm doing a dive that requires more gas/mixes. I guess I still think of sling bottles as more for "tekkier" dives...

Back
Top Bottom