Carrying a Pony....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if it rides OK on your tank, you still can't see it or the SPG.

Here is my 19 cf, I also have a 30cf rigged the same way. I don't really care about hearing how a 19 is to small, I have come back from 130 feet on it and did a generous safety stop with plenty--plenty left over. It is certainly solid redundancy at least to 100 feet. I had it back mounted but switched over to a sling per instructions from the Hog forum. The 19 almost dissappears and the 30 is noticeable but barely so.

DSCF0101.jpg

Here it is in the water though this may be the 30, I cannot recall.

DSCF0103.jpg

I generally dive solo from my own boat and often deep and cold and dark. Having it along is comforting, of course, I often dive doubles as well. I dive all sorts of different rigs depending on my objective and mood.

DSCF0593.jpg

My favorite doubles rig, the Double 50s. I don't do what other people do because I don't have to.

N, lone wolf

I don't really care about hearing how a 19 is to small
I agree with Nimrod if doing no deco dives. I sling a 19 when I dive the deeper wrecks in Lake Huron and (just for practice) I came up from 120 ffw using the pony and with stops at 60 & 30 ffw for over a minute each and a stop at 15 ffw for five minutes and I had just under 500 psi left in the tank. I do like slinging the pony because I can monitor it (gauge, leaks), be able to hand it off, and I hardly notice its there.

Hey guys thanks for the info. Just like anything else on this site everyone has good pros and cons for every subject. I think I'll try both and see what works best.

motorcitydiver:
Hey guys thanks for the info. Just like anything else on this site everyone has good pros and cons for every subject. I think I'll try both and see what works best.
One thing not mentioned by anyone on this thread - how long a 19 will last also depends on your air consumption rate. If you haven't checked recently, you ought to check what yours is now. That will tell you how long any bottle will last.

Hopefully you learned how to do that in courses. Otherwise, PM me and I'll give you an outline.

Merry Christmas and happy diving in 2007:)

I sling a 6 cu ft. with a pouch with clips made by some company (I do mostly shallow diving, that's why the 6 works for me most times). I'll get that information for you when I get home. Perhaps the same company has pouches for larger tanks as well. It's actually very well made, and I personally would rather buy a well made pouch than make some contraption myself. That said, I don't know the requirements of DIR, related to slinging bottles. I'm not understanding the smaller bottles only tank mounted concept, because for me, the 6 is practically slapping me in the face, so it's placement is perfect in an emergency, but that's just me and my situation.

in_cavediver:
I would recommend slinging on the front, rigged like a stage bottle. My opinion is that this should be treated as a competely independent gas source with the 2nd stage 'stowed'. You should keep the standard 1st + (2) 2nd's on your main tank and keep you standard gas plan. The pony, IMHO, is 'your' personal reserve that your buddy is supposed to be reserving for you.
QUOTE]

I agree with everything above but I would loose one of the 2nd stages on the primary because 3 regs are a bit much. If you primary 2nd stage goes bad simply switch to the pony, abort the dive do your safety stop, surface and fix the problem.

GeorgeC:
in_cavediver:
I would recommend slinging on the front, rigged like a stage bottle. My opinion is that this should be treated as a competely independent gas source with the 2nd stage 'stowed'. You should keep the standard 1st + (2) 2nd's on your main tank and keep you standard gas plan. The pony, IMHO, is 'your' personal reserve that your buddy is supposed to be reserving for you.
QUOTE]

I agree with everything above but I would loose one of the 2nd stages on the primary because 3 regs are a bit much. If you primary 2nd stage goes bad simply switch to the pony, abort the dive do your safety stop, surface and fix the problem.

That is to say you don't agree with cavediver.

He really only asked about how to carry it and not about the validity of a small pony or the number of regulators. There have been enough anti-pony threads, if you don't want one then freak'n don't carry one, that is kind of my developing opinion.

But, I also don't think you need to carry three regulators. I stow my redundant regulator on the bottle with the rubber bungee strap, very compact and deploys quickly. The whole point of a small pony is redundancy and a 19 cf represents over 25% of the capacity of a typical underfilled aluminum 80 (which is only 76cf anyways) and is therefore sufficient for that purpose. It (the slung 19) is light and uncomplicated for the single tank diver who does not want to deal with the bulk of doubles that they don't need anyways.

But, unlike most of the other people on this board, I don't got no stink'n gas plan, don't need one. I dive until the needle says zero and then when my skin turns purple from holding my breath and until my vision is tunneling, that means it is time to go up.

N, lone wolf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom