Carrying a pointer stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is definitely not something crucial, but I am still curious. How do you carry your pointer/lobster stick? Do you have it in your hand, attached with a wrist lanyard, during the whole dive? Do you attach it to your BCD somehow? I just don't want mine dangling nor do I want to accidentally drop it.

Bungied inverted and clipped off along the left backside of my plate so it's not hanging down or otherwise even visible until deployed. Pointer on left side because I carry a PLB canister on right hip.

In terms of restowing, pointer is clipped off on shoulder d ring and bungied to webbing next to back up light. I have no idea how one would do this with a BCD.

Never use lanyards for anything, only bolt snaps, and have deep seated hatred for danglies.

Most of the dive, my muck stick is on a bolt snap clipped to my computer bungee’s tail on my left wrist. When I’m near the reef/bottom, I hold it parallel to the left camera grip to use as a monopod or occasionally in my left hand as a fine maneuvering device.

Usually clipped on the left chest D ring for entry and exit, sometimes clipped to the camera housing.

This works for me, I’m sure there are lots of different techniques that are suited to other gear configurations.

Lance

Locally we call them muck sticks. There is a very popular dive site where they are used extensively by divers where the bottom is fragile.
I use mine as an aid when setting up a shot with my camera, or as a device to gently look at hydroids. Yes it is much less intrusive than a gloved hand! It is clipped to my right shoulder D ring for easy access, and stowed in the cumber band when not in use.

The fact that anyone considers there use acceptable is unconscionable.

Unless whatever reason you have to use them is going to have a net positive impact on conservation, say perhaps you’re shooting blue planet 3, then using one is just damaging what you’re trying to enjoy.

The difference in the health of reefs that are rarely visited by divers vs frequently visited by divers is very obvious, the fact that people are touching things and have poor propulsion and positioning skills is the reason why.

I always felt like don’t touch anything is a pretty simple rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom