Carrying a Doubles Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea the backpack is the only thing I can do in my car.... I sit down right in the passenger seat with the doubles on and unclip them

The easiest way to carry them is on a plate.

If you HAVE to move them otherwise, a hand truck is the way to go.

Keeping weight centered is critical.

yeah... on your back is ideal, a dolly is next best

i have a bad back, so i keep a dolly in my trunk when i dive, usually to roll the tanks from my car to the set-up table or for gas fills, etc.

Carrying them with a straight back is key. If I'm carrying my 130's a short distance (less than 30') I'll just lift by the knobs. More than that, I'll rotate 'em sideways and have 1 hand on the neck and the other between the tanks at their base. This method also works when trying to heft them up onto a picnic table (I'm a little guy). Any significant distance and I'll attach a plate.

Mike

I was always told not to lift by the manifold, that will bend it.

jrc:
I was always told not to lift by the manifold, that will bend it.

I guess it depends what you mean by the manifold. I don't grab them by the center channel, but don't hesitate to grab them by the valves. If the latter is really an issue, too bad for everyone moving singles around. :)

If I'm not wearng 'em, then two of us carry them.

My LDS has a long hose that reaches out to my truck, so I usually just back up and get a fill. There are usually two of us when we do the HE in the garage, so I get help lifting them in and out of the truck.

When I was in Monterey, mweitz brought two of these great folding tables, so we never have to drop the doubles to the ground and back up. They were great!
Monterey-divers-tables.gif

Got to get me one of these.

Tanked Monkey:
I'll rotate 'em sideways and have 1 hand on the neck and the other between the tanks at their base.
This is pretty much how I do it - one hand/arm through the manifold and the other between the base.

Rick I bought similar tables after seeing some guys in CT with them. They fold up small as well, mine were meant to be like heavy saw horses / work benches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom