Carry On or Check Our Luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r&wc

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going on a 7 night Carnival cruise in Aug and will be diving at all 4 stops. Do you think we should carry on our dive gear and other luggage or just check it? I am worried they will lose it, which would ruin our trip. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

I would carry on the gear that you can't/don't want to rent from the boat ie Mask,fins, maybe wetsuit. Just depends on how much space you have and the ability of carnival to rent you gear (just in case). If I remember correctly they do have scuba gear onboard, I'd give them a call. That being said I've made a few flights with my scuba gear and nothing has been lost yet..

Carry on your computers though

If it's expensive, fragile or can not be easily replaced carry it on.
I NEVER check my regs, computer, mask or camera. A post on here last week of an airline losing someones camera housing.. expensive to replace, impossible to replace on the trip and no way the airline will pay for it.

herman:
If it's expensive, fragile or can not be easily replaced carry it on.
I NEVER check my regs, computer, mask or camera. A post on here last week of an airline losing someones camera housing.. expensive to replace, impossible to replace on the trip and no way the airline will pay for it.

Same for me, although I will pack my regs and mask for the return flight home. I always have equipment insurance when I travel so if someone poaches something from a checked bag or it gets lost I can purchase a replacement. But that is much easier to do when I am at home and after my live-aboard trip

-s

I have always packed my regs, computer, camera equip in a carry on. Those are expensive and they way they handle checked bags really don't want someone smashing those or losing them. As for the cruise part most of the time you can't carry the large bags onto the ship yourself. And again these bags are not handle with the best of care.

I would rather carry my own stuff even if it's a bit of a hassle, but I don't know if it is even physically possible because I have heard you go up and down escalators and stairs several times. We can each easily handle our dive bags since they are both wheeled, but I have never had to wheel them up more than a few stairs at a time. Does anyone know what getting on a Carnival ship at the port of Miami is really like? Oh, yeah, and our dive bags are both heavy-duty mesh, AKA see thru.

when I was there last year you could only take a small carry on with you(like what you walk on a plane with) my larger dive bag they took right were a taxi or bus drops you off. They then load on the boat and bring to your room.

r&wc:
We are going on a 7 night Carnival cruise in Aug and will be diving at all 4 stops. Do you think we should carry on our dive gear and other luggage or just check it? I am worried they will lose it, which would ruin our trip. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

Carry-on limitations are so stringent post 9/11 that you virtually have little choice but to check all your scuba gear. A nice hard Sampsonite works best for this.

A second large bag consisting of a doffel on rollers is your best bet for your second piece, for your clothes. This needs to be checked also.

The only things that I would carry on are your camera, light(s) [without batteries], dive computer, and compass. That is what I do now, and I have been lucky, yes, no thefts or losses of checked luggage.

chadbeck:
I have always packed my regs, computer, camera equip in a carry on. Those are expensive and they way they handle checked bags really don't want someone smashing those or losing them. As for the cruise part most of the time you can't carry the large bags onto the ship yourself. And again these bags are not handle with the best of care.

There really is not room for regs to be carried on anymore, post 9/11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom