Caribbean Pearl Out Of Commission?? Any Idea Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking about looking into a September trip on Caribbean Pearl in Utila and Roatan for September. That's quite a ways out, but I was told by their reservation staff the boat is "out of commission" until further notice. I have asked what the reason is (since their is no time frame as to when they will have it back in service) but I don't expect to hear back.

Any of you have any intel on this?

Lack of business.

It's a tough sell offering the same diving as land based but at 2-3x the price. As with previous Bay Islands LOBs, fuel costs limited the actual movement of the ship. You could look seaward from CoCoView and watch the "current" operational LOB tied up offshore. The passengers could see us at CCV, so they must have wondered why they were paying double what we were, they usually had three days in sight to consider that math.

The point of a live aboard: access to various diverse dive sites not possible by land based. The dream on the Bay Islands would be diving off Utila, Roatan, Guanaja, the whipped cream in that sundae would be Cayos Cochinos, then the cherry on top would be Cisneros (Swan). Ice cream melts pretty fast down there.

We're talking a lot of diesel fuel. Arguably the first ever LOB in the world was operated out of Roatan, her name was Isla Mia. It was successful in its day because there was no other way to do diving locally. The Bay Islands Aggressr was plugging along for a while, but when the financial well finally ran dry, she got parked.

The Caribbean Pearl has had about four, maybe a half a dozen names over the years. Sometimes the same people's names keep showing up bring associated with it, sometimes not.

Add to all this the Byzantine rules, laws, taxes and gocernmental roadblocks of Honduras- it's really the most certain outcome for any non-Honduran trying to start a new business in paradise.

Sometimes, things are not what they appear in Honduras. Several well known current ongoing operations- you really can't see how they manage to stay open. You could put them in the similar category as a "tax dodge" kinda.

Kinda.

You can easily dive the Bay Islands by land based.

Back
Top Bottom