Careful Of Moray Eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray ells are evil.

If you want to get that song out of your head, try this:

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole: The Voice Of Hawaii : NPR

NPR Media Player

We all miss Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

I found out a long time ago not to put my hands where I cannot see them. I did enjoy the song though, and sang it in my head. But this one, "Somewhere over the rainbow" takes it right away.

SeaRat

Two years ago I had my left forefinger shredded by a Moray in Cayman.He really did attack me for no reason.I was about 2 feet from his burrow when he came out and nailed me as I was lining up a shot of an Arrow crab .

Here is a picture of one recently that again attacked but got the camera port instead.He left a cool scratch on the port....better the port than me.The lens being used was a Wide Angle 11-24 on this pic.

Attachments

• John Dive 2 WA 11-10 023.jpg
    John Dive 2 WA 11-10 023.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 236
Two years ago I had my left forefinger shredded by a Moray in Cayman.He really did attack me for no reason.I was about 2 feet from his burrow when he came out and nailed me as I was lining up a shot of an Arrow crab .

Here is a picture of one recently that again attacked but got the camera port instead.He left a cool scratch on the port....better the port than me.The lens being used was a Wide Angle 11-24 on this pic.
You were in the moray's territory. All these fish set up their own territory, and will defend it if you intrude. You don't have to stick a hand into a crevice to get hit, but if you were to present the moray with something it desires, you'd probably have a different outcome.

SeaRat

Garrobo:
Moray ells are evil.

Oh shut up - and learn to spell or at least spell check. Moray eels are not evil, they are one of the many incredible undersea creatures I love seeing when I dive. I'm surprised there aren't more attacks considering the pressure divers put on them in THEIR habitat daily. We are the intruders.

I recently saw a Giant Moray eel here (Saipan) at least 8 feet long and as big around as my thigh. I think if you stuck your hand in his cave you'd loss the whole thing. But he is an awesome animal.

A while back I was diving with a pro videographer. We came upon a huge Moray sitting in the open. I slowly moved in and took some photos with my POS. Something just didn't seem right to me. Moray in the open, sort of on it's side... My Spidey sense was tingling, so I slowly backed out while keeping the eel in my line-of-sight. As it turned out, my instincts were right.

Videographer guy didn't pick up on the clues, and moved in to shoot. Notice his approach to the eel. Not a good idea.

Here's the video from his perspective:

YouTube - Eel Attacks Dive Travel Camera in Aruba
woVjShEWv98

Clues? It was obvious the thing was pissed and then he approached way to close over the vunerable tail, then got in his face, then didn't back off when he saw the open jaw display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom