Carbon Monoxide suspected in incident with 12 children - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions on CO analyzers to get or avoid?

Some people have been frustrated with the post-sales support they've received from DiveNav for the Cootwo.

The only other one that is currently on the market is the Palm, which is $400. I've tried to find pricing on replacement sensors and can't. They are supposed to last two years.

The Oxycheq replacement sensors are $140.

To be completely honest, I'd even test it if it were my own center and I were responsible for the compressor. Currently trying to buy a CO analyser as someone took a CO hit nearby, got saved by his buddy. If that happens to me, not so lucky, because there's no buddy.

You always think that kind of stuff happens only in far-away-land, like Mexico, Vanuatu, Whatever-remote-country, apparently not.

Agree, if you have a CO analyzer inline with fill station, you don't need to test with another tester every single Tank, perhaps one or two in the batch :)

Agree, if you have a CO analyzer inline with fill station, you don't need to test with another tester every single Tank, perhaps one or two in the batch :)
I disagree, but then I have known cases where inline CO monitors were not maintained or alarms were ignored. How difficult is it to test tanks? Filter efficiencies and compressor outputs can change quickly so testing one or two only clears those.

I live in NJ and found this reference that indicates atmospheric CO can range from 1 to almost 4 ppm - so having tanks test up to 3 ppm would not be surprising (or avoidable), would it?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.njaqinow.net/App_Files/2012/Carbon%20Monoxide%202012.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwin-p-3i-LUAhULcj4KHQG7D1QQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNGqCw54UiPsj5ImNBKxNaSD2RfZPw
I've been testing for CO for a couple years now and have only ever had 3 tanks come up with nonzero CO readings. All filled at the same time at the same shop. I think they had just 1ppm reading, but it's been a while - there's another post by me somewhere on SB about it. I took them back to the shop, they took it seriously and did all kinds of work to their fill station. I've not seen another tank with any CO at all since then.

Unfortunately my cootwo started having trouble right before my last big trip so I didn't have a way to test tanks in Roatan. I did see at least one other cootwo on someone's locker when we were there so someone was testing at least.

As others have indicated, the hopcalite in the filter stack should remove CO whether its origin is baseline atmospheric levels, contamination at the compressor input, or partial combustion of compressor lubricants. Most of the CO problems show up when there is a CO source so concentrated that the filter media is rapidly exhausted, or when the filter stack isn't maintained in a reasonable way.

I've had a long talk with my air supplier. They are in a freestanding building with no loading dock, use a Rix, change filters regularly, send out air samples to a lab regularly, and have a technical diver who supervises the compressor operation. I don't test.
Thx - I did not realize that the compressor filters would remove/reduce atmospheric CO - that is good to know.

Thx - I did not realize that the compressor filters would remove/reduce atmospheric CO - that is good to know.
If all conditions are kept right, the filter fits the compressor (there have been deaths from attempted adaptations), the filter is changed often enough, etc. Same old bottom line: Test every tank or dive on hope.

Unfortunately my cootwo started having trouble right before my last big trip so I didn't have a way to test tanks in Roatan.
Such a low tech destination to not have a CO testor. I carry two on a trip just in case of problems, but I am a fanatic. I remember the double fatality from CO there several years ago, a Texan and a local DM, and some tried to blame the Texan for killing the heroic DM trying to save him - all hogwash. The resort promises a full & public report, but abandoned that idea. I think they ended up paying off the Texas widow well to keep it quiet. I hear versions of the story from other Texans who knew the family from time to time, but it's still kept quiet.

Last edited:
.......The only other one that is currently on the market is the Palm, which is $400. .....
That is not correct.

monOX is available now and its MSRP is $229.99
The CO sensor lasts 2 years (needs to be calibrated after 1 year). Replacement sensor is $69.99

Hey @DiveNav , is the monox (or cootwo) available in Europe? Shipping one is a shame, and an expensive joke with customs.

This may be a bit off topic, but in a scenario like this, is a school teaching or having the scuba taught to a group of kids? Are parents required to be there? I couldn't really imagine, knowing what I know now, being comfortable having a young teen son or daughter getting lessons without being there. Maybe that's overprotective?

That's very overprotective. Did you never bring your kids to a sports camp? Normally (at least here around) you'd have professionals running this kind of things. I don't see how a "parent" is going to save the kid, they're actually much more likely to be the reason a kid gets in trouble...

Back
Top Bottom