Carbon Monoxide suspected in incident with 12 children - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The news story doesn't seem to confirm CO toxicity in the tanks, so far just suspected, and my guess is no one around has a suitable CO tester. In my opinion, every compressor for tanks needs to have well maintained CO monitors, and every tank needs to be tested for CO - but so little progress has been made in this area. Too ma many old divers are not helping spread the news and even DAN has done very little.

12 schoolboys treated for 'carbon monoxide poisoning' after scuba diving class
Police are investigating after 12 schoolboys are feared to have suffered 'carbon monoxide poisoning' after falling ill during a SCUBA DIVING class.

The pupils were rushed to hospital after a swimming lesson at the Manchester Grammar School in Fallowfield on Monday, it's emerged this evening.

One 14-year-old pupil had to be given oxygen by a school nurse which may have have saved his life, the Manchester Evening News reports .

He is currently in a stable condition in hospital and the eleven others have since been discharged.

Police along with the Health and Safety Executive and Public Health England are now investigating the company who supplied the air tanks - Aqualogistics based on Chester Road, central Stockport.

Divers have also been put on alert and told any tanks filled and supplied by the business recently must be returned as a matter of urgency.

(continued at the link)

Because of you I own a CO tester and I use it.

It gets boring as you keep testing tanks and getting zeroes - until you find your first bad tank.

A CO tester is expensive to buy and a pain to keep calibrated, but have you seen what they charge for even basic funerals these days? Keep it calibrated and keep testing. Let us know of any op who takes offense. :wink:

What is your limit that throws up a red flag?

Same here - DandyDon's posts made me aware of this potential deadly issue and now I check every tank I dive. I've had plenty of people ask me why I'm checking my air tanks as they assume I'm just checking O2 % (I am also doing that with my Cootwo:wink:). However, most folks seem surprised when I tell them I'm checking CO too as they are not aware of the threat.

Fear mongering old son of a gun but glad of it.

What is your limit that throws up a red flag?
Oh, I am no authority nor all that experienced of a diver, but as I started learning about what I didn't know that I didn't know about the risk, the possible effects, and how common tainted tanks can be - it started getting interesting. My experiences are limited, but news stories do show up now and then. Too many "professionals" don't know that CO can come from an electric compressor with clean air intake if it's busy enough to get hot, causing it to burn it's own lubricating oil.

I remember a trip to do some practice dives with my home buddy and finding 5ppm in tanks. I would have made noise at a dive destination in Florida or Cozumel, but we're lucky to have this fill shack where it is - so I was more reserved. My bud & I discussed the possible effects of breathing 5ppm down to 3½ atmospheres as compared to our need for practice before a trip, and we went for it. I did mention to the nice lady running the station and suggest she service her compressor.

At a dive destination, I don't worry about a 1 or 2ppm as that could be my testing. Testing in parts per million is such a challenge, I don't start griping until I hit 3ppm - the maximum allowed in some countries. If they'll let that much in, what else could the tanks have in them? I have turned a boat for tanks that tested over 10ppm, and reported the experience.

I remember a trip to Belize before I learned and started testing. All of the air divers got ill after one dive while all of the nitrox divers in the group were fine. At the time I assumed it was a case of dehydration among many along with some hangovers, not noticing the possible connection at the time. The dive op was the worst I've ever seen, as well as the owner of the compressor that supplied our air tanks, but not the nitrox supplier, and thinking back now - I suspected he knew enough about risks and his compressor that he figure it out then, went back to his shop and cleaned up his compressor. That's only my guess, but a good one I think.

I've also been told some stories in confidence that I am not at liberty to try to retell. Of the few studies that have been done, there is good reason to look for hits in 3% of the tanks overall.

So your level is >10 is a no go but >5 is a maybe? I've kind of thought that if I read greater than 10 I would call the dive myself but at 4 atm that is a pretty big number. hmmm

So your level is >10 is a no go but >5 is a maybe? I've kind of thought that if I read greater than 10 I would call the dive myself but at 4 atm that is a pretty big number. hmmm
Well, sometimes I do things and take risks that I would not suggest to anyone else. Yeah, 10ppm to 4 atmospheres would be too much to knowingly go for. At first look, 10ppm to 4 bar would be like 40ppm at sea level, so not so bad in that view. CO toxicity is complex tho, so maybe there is more to it than that? 10ppm is the max allowed in the US, so I stop rationalizing at that point. There is no good excuse for a professional vendor to supply air with even 3ppm.

Well, sometimes I do things and take risks that I would not suggest to anyone else. Yeah, 10ppm to 4 atmospheres would be too much to knowingly go for. At first look, 10ppm to 4 bar would be like 40ppm at sea level, so not so bad in that view. CO toxicity is complex tho, so maybe there is more to it than that? 10ppm is the max allowed in the US, so I stop rationalizing at that point. There is no good excuse for a professional vendor to supply air with even 3ppm.
I live in NJ and found this reference that indicates atmospheric CO can range from 1 to almost 4 ppm - so having tanks test up to 3 ppm would not be surprising (or avoidable), would it?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNGqCw54UiPsj5ImNBKxNaSD2RfZPw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom