Carbon Monoxide monitor in your luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you trust they work?
I do test to see if the battery is good and the alarm sounds. One might opt to carry a combination smoke & CO alarm so they can be sure they are sleeping with one not out of date.

Last edited:
I do test to see if the battery is good and the alarm sounds. Beyond that no, I try to pick limits I can live with.

Pushing the test button is a good check of the battery. It does not test the ionization chamber, to its ability to detect a fire is still uncertain until it is tested with smoke, or a simulant.

Sort of like opening the fridge to see if the light goes on - it says nothing about the proper function of the compressor, or that the food is cold.

Yeah, I reconsidered and changed my reply: One might opt to carry a combination smoke & CO alarm so they can be sure they are sleeping with one not out of date.

At least in NC one has to have CO detector to be licensed foster care home.

At some point, you have to decide how much Chicken Little prevention you can do and not end up a complete agoraphobe. I mean, you should take reasonable precautions, but if you start reading about all the accidents, (and let's note, they are anomalies, not standards),and acting in response to them, then you end up like Monk. Life must be lived. Intelligently, and not overdone out of constant fear and phobias.

Hell, open the window.

I suspect that state requirements for private homes only come into play when building, selling, or perhaps seeking a permit for a home business of some sort. I doubt that anyone really thinks that any authority can use that for a search warrant.

Re: "Hell, open the window." As previously mentioned, many would worry more about sleeping with a window open while traveling, and it's just not an option with some rooms, including many ship rooms. It's probly not a popular idea in our blizzard belt either, as CO risks are not limited to times of home heating but are more common then. Do homes have heaters in Kuwait? I guess the need would be more common in Georgia, but some will present ideas for not spending $30, then shrug off the anomalies of some dead people.

For any home that does burn fuel for some reason, cooking, heating water, comfort, fireplaces, etc. they are a reasonable addition. Taking one on trips might be a bit much, since they add several ounces to luggage limits - or maybe not. :idk:

But then on my dive trips, I've noticed that most compressor owners don't bother with CO monitors either. It's usually ends up about the money needed for an illusion of safety.

I suspect that state requirements for private homes only come into play when building, selling, or perhaps seeking a permit for a home business of some sort. I doubt that anyone really thinks that any authority can use that for a search warrant.

Re: "Hell, open the window." As previously mentioned, many would worry more about sleeping with a window open while traveling, and it's just not an option with some rooms, including many ship rooms. It's probly not a popular idea in our blizzard belt either, as CO risks are not limited to times of home heating but are more common then. Do homes have heaters in Kuwait? I guess the need would be more common in Georgia, but some will present ideas for not spending $30, then shrug off the anomalies of some dead people.

For any home that does burn fuel for some reason, cooking, heating water, comfort, fireplaces, etc. they are a reasonable addition. Taking one on trips might be a bit much, since they add several ounces to luggage limits - or maybe not. :idk:

But then on my dive trips, I've noticed that most compressor owners don't bother with CO monitors either. It's usually ends up about the money needed for an illusion of safety.

Actually, the majority of houses, apartments, buildings, and businesses in Kuwait have no heat whatsoever. They are well insulated and we just don't get enough cold to warrant it. They all do have the small propane gas tanks in the kitchens (I call them bomb in a bottle), and They are much more of a concern to me. In Georgia, my house has them installed. We always have. And we replace in the needed time. Our batteries even have dates written on them so I remember when I put them in.

But Don, I think you really are obsessing with wanting to travel with them. I think that is just a bit much. At some point, you have to just live, knowing you have taken all the reasonable precautions possible. I think traveling with them is a bit much and smacks on paranoia/obsession.

Actually, the majority of houses, apartments, buildings, and businesses in Kuwait have no heat whatsoever. They are well insulated and we just don't get enough cold to warrant it.
Didn't think you would. I guess the homes are well insulated more for the outdoor heat, therefore heating a home wouldn't be needed.
They all do have the small propane gas tanks in the kitchens (I call them bomb in a bottle), and They are much more of a concern to me.
I bet. Flammable gas detectors are available over here, and they're cheap too - but the units that also protect against CO aren't much more.
In Georgia, my house has them installed. We always have. And we replace in the needed time. Our batteries even have dates written on them so I remember when I put them in.
Good. So many don't.
But Don, I think you really are obsessing with wanting to travel with them. I think that is just a bit much. At some point, you have to just live, knowing you have taken all the reasonable precautions possible. I think traveling with them is a bit much and smacks on paranoia/obsession.
If it was much trouble to travel with one, I'd agree - but it's not. If a home has plenty, just take one - and we know that the hotels will never bother.

Now that I think about the combination flammable gas/CO detectors, remembering the explosion in Playa del Carmen that killed several - maybe that's the one to travel with.

If it was much trouble to travel with one, I'd agree - but it's not. If a home has plenty, just take one - and we know that the hotels will never bother.

Now that I think about the combination flammable gas/CO detectors, remembering the explosion in Playa del Carmen that killed several - maybe that's the one to travel with.
At some, point, where do you draw the line of your safety travel monitors/gear?
Perhaps it is that I travel constantly. We also travel the world and are in many places. I have had extra pages added 4 times and 2 replacement passports due to running out of pages, in the past 6 years.
Of the many places we go, and many places have been 3rd world countries with no electricity and some amazing treks, we just don't have the ability to pack bag after bag. I mean, we run with a large backpack that has to hold travel dive gear and clothes. We just don't have room for such things. And if you have hiked across South Korea, you know that it just isn't feasible. We have traveled India and Shri Lanka. There are many things to worry about and a travel CO monitor is just not on that list.

I carry Tylenol, Benadryl, and superglue, in a small Pelican case that holds my phone in my backpack. That is it. And in all these years, we have never had trouble. knock wood. I do understand your worry. But I think you have to live outside the little cage you seem to want to build around yourself.

At some, point, where do you draw the line of your safety travel monitors/gear?
Perhaps it is that I travel constantly. We also travel the world and are in many places. I have had extra pages added 4 times and 2 replacement passports due to running out of pages, in the past 6 years.
Of the many places we go, and many places have been 3rd world countries with no electricity and some amazing treks, we just don't have the ability to pack bag after bag. I mean, we run with a large backpack that has to hold travel dive gear and clothes. We just don't have room for such things. And if you have hiked across South Korea, you know that it just isn't feasible. We have traveled India and Shri Lanka. There are many things to worry about and a travel CO monitor is just not on that list.

I carry Tylenol, Benadryl, and superglue, in a small Pelican case that holds my phone in my backpack. That is it. And in all these years, we have never had trouble. knock wood. I do understand your worry. But I think you have to live outside the little cage you seem to want to build around yourself.
Yeah, the idea of carrying an 8 oz/$30 detector is more inline with the typical tourist with 2 checked bags plus carry-on. For those adventures, I'd take my 1 oz CO monitor, but that's a $200 unit most wouldn't have. I got it originally to check tanks as it does work in low range, but now we have the Analox tester which is better for most.

Back
Top Bottom