Carbon Monoxide monitor in your luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I asked my daughter to take a couple of theirs on their cruise next month, and she gave me one of those "Oh Dad" looks - but it couldn't hurt to have one in each cabin as they breath whatever the ship pumps in, or in the hotel rooms they overnight in on the long drive down, and even one on the floor in the car as they are backed up by batteries. Why not be more careful than most...?

We see news story after story of hundreds of deaths and more injuries in the US from CO poisoning every winter, like these...

Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in 5 teens' deaths - Hialeah - MiamiHerald.com HIALEAH, Florida
They were celebrating a birthday for one of them, but the car was hard to start so was left running in the bottom-floor, single-car garage. The door to the interior stairway leading to the room on the second floor was opened slightly, allowing the odorless, deadly fumes to seep upstairs.

CBC News - Saskatchewan - Carbon monoxide sends 31 to Sask. hospital Canada
More than 30 residents, staff and visitors from a long-term care facility were taken to hospital in Humbolt, Sask., early Sunday morning after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Teen out of hospital, father still critical in carbon monoxide incident | monoxide, carbon, hospital - News - TheMonitor.com Rio Grande Valley Texas
BROWNSVILLE - A teenager is out of the hospital, but his father continues to fight for his life after an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning that killed his grandparents, officials said Monday.

Carbon Monoxide Leaks Send Five to Hospital at Snowshoe Mountain Resort, W.VA
the leak came from a boiler in the basement.

Md. girl, 13, saves mother from carbon monoxide poisoning | Washington Examiner Thank goodness the child thought of it...!
A 13-year-old Maryland girl has been credited with saving her mother from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Katie Hagan ran back into her home in Clover Ridge after realizing she was feeling ill from carbon monoxide exposure just in time to watch her mother collapse and begin to vomit, the Frederick News-Post reported.

Wendy Hagan, Katie's mother, had come home from Christmas shopping one night last week and left her car running in the garage, she told the News-Post. Both mother and daughter were feeling ill, but shrugged off their headaches even after discovering the car with its engine running the garage.

Katie began feeling better once she left the house for school and connected the dots. When she went back inside she found her mother had collapsed and begun vomiting. She called 911 and paramedics took the two to the hospital.

So maybe I'm not being "Oh Dad" silly in asking my daughter to take a couple of theirs on the trip, but then some of the above didn't even have them at home.
How are you fixed for CO detectors?

One for each bedroom?

Plug in with battery back up?

Less than 5 years old?

Weighs a few ounces in luggage, so would you take one for each room on a trip...?​
It's the air we breathe, but when bad - no odor, no color, no taste...

CTV Winnipeg- Province making carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all homes - CTV News
Manitoba will become the first Canadian province to make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all homes.

Apparently Colorado and New York are the only states requiring them, with California requiring them in July 2011.

More today. It's that time of year: Flu and CO...!

Post Now - 2 dead of apparent CO poisoning in Md.

Gas leak forces evacuation of Long Island building - WSJ.com
FREEPORT, N.Y. — A carbon monoxide leak in a Long Island building forced authorities to evacuate people working there.

Family rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide poisoning - GreenwichTime
At 1:12 p.m Monday December 27, 2010, fire department units were dispatched to an apartment building on Maplewood Ave. In Bridgeport, Conn. There were high levels of carbon monoxide in the building and three victims were taken to Bridgeport Hospital. It was determined the situation was caused by a faulty furnace.

I like this model with battery backup - $29.54. It says not in stores but many stores will have them, or check Target, K-Mart, hardware stores, etc. http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Ale...noxide-Detector-With-Digital-Display/10099177

kys11.jpg

Last edited:
We have a CO monitor in the basement near the furnace; one on the main level just in case; and one on the second floor near the gas fireplace. We have hard-wired smoke detectors on each floor as well. The smoke detectors are mandatory in Ontario, but it's funny that CO monitors are not.

I don't travel with them though. Now why don't you upgrade your daughter to a cabin with a balcony and she can keep the window open? :) She can crack open a window in the hotel room and car as well, and your precious daughter and grandkids should be just fine.. :D

Haha, I bought the CO monitors for 4 bedrooms and paid for excursions for 3 of them at Progreso and Coz. Taking 2 of the monitors is a tiny deal, and we know that no hotel or boat rooms ever have any.

CO monitors are now required in all homes in Minnesota. And a great idea in my opinion for the home that you live in. If on vacaiton and I was that concerned about getting poisoned by Carbon Monoxide, I would simply crack a window open while I was sleeping. Getting some airflow through the room is all that is needed, unless of course the exhaust of a furnace is plumbed directly into the room you are sleeping in.

CO monitors are now required in all homes in Minnesota. And a great idea in my opinion for the home that you live in. If on vacaiton and I was that concerned about getting poisoned by Carbon Monoxide, I would simply crack a window open while I was sleeping. Getting some airflow through the room is all that is needed, unless of course the exhaust of a furnace is plumbed directly into the room you are sleeping in.
Good for Minnesota; I did not find that info when I looked. Thanks.

I think many would be more concerned about the risks of leaving a window open in a hotel while sleeping. The monitors weigh a few ounces so I hope she takes them, but she's an intelligent adult so whatever she decides...

Fire deaths are much more common than CO. Who carries a smoke detector with them when they travel?

For extra credit - do you declare the radioactive material in the smoke detector, or smuggle it aboard?

Fire deaths are much more common than CO. Who carries a smoke detector with them when they travel?
Except that smoke alarms are common in hotels, while CO monitors are not.

And you trust they work?

The difference is that Fire/smoke detection and suppression are code requirements in modern built hotels.

I'm betting you'll have a hard time finding a CO2 meter being required in most places.

Even commercially where I work, I've never seen them test our smoke detectors in our facility. So no guarentee they work.

I also heard once that they only have a 10 year shelf life. I'm betting ours are reaching that age. (or have exceeded it), and that most every other one in buildings everywhere has also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom