Car Tire Inflator from Scuba Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a flat tire last week and realized that I spend a decent amount of time driving with Scuba tanks in the trunk. Although I didn't have any with me at the time, I was close enough to my house to grab a tank. However, I don't have any adapters to inflate tires.

After some searching I found the most economical option is an inflator attachment that hooks up to a low-pressure BC hose:

Innovative Tire Inflator SP-0252 with reviews at scuba.com

This item has received good reviews on scuba.com. Does anyone here have any experience with something like this? Is there a better option available?

I use that LPI adapter on an air check with built in air gauge. I have filled 4 18" off road tires from 10psi to 70 psi using a 20cft rebreather tanks filled to 3000 psi
If your running in the sand you really need one.

I had a flat tire last week and realized that I spend a decent amount of time driving with Scuba tanks in the trunk. Although I didn't have any with me at the time, I was close enough to my house to grab a tank. However, I don't have any adapters to inflate tires.

After some searching I found the most economical option is an inflator attachment that hooks up to a low-pressure BC hose:

Innovative Tire Inflator SP-0252 with reviews at scuba.com

This item has received good reviews on scuba.com. Does anyone here have any experience with something like this? Is there a better option available?
I've been use one of those for the last 10 years, just be carful not to over inflate.

You can buy the BC side of that from places like Dive Gear Express and connect blow-guns, regulators and all sorts of pneumatic goodies for a portable air source.

Once you have the air chuck in your toolkit consider a Schrader tool and spare Scharader valves in case someone takes the air out of your tires while diving. Maybe even a tire plug kit though they are generally not kosher to use these days it can get you home. It's all small cheap stuff.

Pete

Carry a tire plug kit and you can actually perform a repair, and fill your tire.

I carry a plug kit and a compressor in my car, but I hate mini spares, have wider rims and tires, and often take longer road trips. The funny part is I have never needed it myself, but have used quite a few plugs on other peoples cars.

Carry a tire plug kit and you can actually perform a repair, and fill your tire.

I carry a plug kit and a compressor in my car, but I hate mini spares, have wider rims and tires, and often take longer road trips. The funny part is I have never needed it myself, but have used quite a few plugs on other peoples cars.

Carrying a plug kit is a great idea. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a full-sized spare tire, but to get to get the spare out, I'd have to unload my whole trunk of gear. I'd much rather air it up to get to a repair shop at the least. But if I can fix it myself, even better!

I used my inflator quite a bit this winter. Of course, my tire would have to go flat when I was on my night shifts & it was the worst part of this miserable winter (Snow, sleet & freezing cold temps). The inflator got me through 4 days of night shifts, until I could get to a repair center. I was inflating my tire twice a day at the end.

My son used to have one of his tanks strapped into the back of his off-road Jeep. He'd drive to the site, deflate the big tires for off-road use and then go have fun. When it was time to hit the road, he'd inflate the tires from the tank. Was quick too. His buddies used those dinky little compressors that took forever.

Back in the days when I dragged all my dive gear a mile down the hill to the dive park and back on a hand cart with inflatable tires, I used one occasionally sine the salt air corrodes the tire rims and caused leaks. I've used one to inflate my golf cart tires as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom