Capitano/Mariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, what is the difference between these two units? Bauer's website and all the literature I've seen clumps the two together all the time. What's the dif?

Utilus, Capitano and Mariner were built on the same three stage plan and a single workshop book combines all three compressor types. The Utililus has been rare in the USA for many years but persisted in other markets, and I heard that Bauer finally discontinued it two years ago. The Mariner has higher output than the Capitano due to larger cylinders. I don't know all the details of the two but differences appear to be few.

Are both the Capitano and Mariner capable of filling a small cascade?

Are both the Capitano and Mariner capable of filling a small cascade?

Yes, of course. Mind the pressure ratings. Older Capitanos were rated 3200 psi. They might be pushed harder but the "pony bottle" type coalescer will needs be changed for one rated 4400 psi. The small, steel condenser (moisture separator/filter) with tiny cartridge insert is plenty strong. Many different configs, just check individually. Plenty of MIL surplus Mariners rated 4400 psi pass through govt auction (US)

The main difference is in the first stage head between them. I just sold a Utilus to a friend of mine and it had the same second and third stages as my Mariner. I think there is some additional cooling provided for the higher output machines too, but I never studied them long enough to tell. Definitely the same block though.

Good machines and parts are still readily available, even for the Utilus which is no longer being made as Pescador mentioned.

Bauer has never seemed to make up their mind as to whether the UCM line are medium duty portable machines, or serious compressors. They've told me it was unwise to fill more than one storage tank at a time with the U and the C, but when I asked what the limitation was couldn't explain - these machines run quite cool compared to the smaller portables, so it's not like they need time to cool. Similarly, Bauer told me it would be foolish to run my Utilus machine at more than 3200 psi, even if I upgraded the filters, even though Bauer sold a 4500 psi version of the same compressor, using the exact same pump, but with higher pressure-rated filter canisters. And there are cabinet mounted versions of all three that appear to be intended for diveshop installations, where one would assume the ability to fill cascades would be a given.

Is there significant differences between the Capitano/Mariner, and the CapitanoII/MarinerII?

The new blocks feature some differences, that is why they have a different designation. Whether these are "significant" is debatable but it appears so. For example, different oil pumps and inclusion of rings on the third stage. There is some controversy concerning the plastic rings but I have no opinion. Consult with Bauer. They have a website, also.

Rotation is extremely important in the new blocks. Although cooling air flow might cause problems in the long run if an old style Capitano or Mariner were run in reverse rotation, it had no effect on the the oil pump nor the ability to pump gas. I actually went on a boat once that had been running a Capitano in reverse rotation in an engine room for 4-5 years with no ill effects. The new blocks will lock up in a heart beat (well maybe not so fast) if run in reverse rotation. Not something so prevalent with single phase, but with 3 phase it can happen easily. I've worked in places that when something happens to the line equipment, the power company isn't too careful about insuring that they don't swap lines when reconnecting. If you have ever seen a 208, 3 phase service that has a high leg (one leg reads 208 to neutral), you can imagine the excitement with control transformers and control circuits when the power leg goes from 120 vac to 208 vac during a power company repair.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom