Cape Ann Sun 11/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive was not so good...with storms brewing up off the coast, there was about 2-5ft of vis. Even so, it was nice to get in the water.

notabob, fmike, Seth (notabob's friend), gmbaker, and myself got in the water around 11:30...When we exited, Raxafarian had showed up. We decided not to do another dive and went off to get lunch.

Glad you had a good time at Nubble! What was temp like? We were around 56 degrees.

Lucky... that's almost twice what notabob and I had on saturday.

That plus a bit of surging current and wind made for a short and less than fulfilling dive at Gun Rock.

Arduous, did you see any sealife? 8ft visability is okay.

The dive was started at 12:52PM and the tide was on it’s way in. There were a lot of student divers in the water and the viz was very poor in close to shore ( around the other divers). I hit a max of 64 fsw and at that depth I had a temperature reading of 46 degrees. There was some surf, but no noticeable surge. However the current got strong as you got out more towards the open ocean. The viz was 8 feet at best, but the cloud cover made it very dark at the deeper depths. For the most part I saw very little in the way of sea life, (Viz didn’t help). However, I did see a very large school of small silver colored fish, only about 2” long. They were close to shore in about 10 fsw. There had to be thousands of them, schooling in a large rotating ball. There was another diver at the scene getting in on the photo opportunity. Total dive time for me was 46 minutes. It was good to get wet again………………………………Arduous

I have seen that same type of school of fish at Ft. Wetherill. The light catches their silver color when they change direction and they are packed in densely. I love those things, anyone know what they are???

Referencing Marine Life of the North Atlantic:

Arduous may have seen a school of Atlantic Herring who travel in schools.

Some other fish travel in schools when they are young, like Pollock. But they become solitary as they get older. I suppose he may have seen Pollock (?)

Just a guess. Anyone else have a clue?

I have seen large schools of silvery fish off Misery Island. They are too small for me to recognize features to match pictures in fish books. So, I am also curious what they are.

I believe it was mainly their head back to their gills that was silvery, the rest of their body was drab.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
The dive was not so good...with storms brewing up off the coast, there was about 2-5ft of vis. Even so, it was nice to get in the water.

Garyd and I got two awesome dives in at Old Garden Beach yesterday (Monday 11/11). Vis: a crystal clear 30+ feet. Put it this way, we got our flag tangled around a lobster buoy while at 40 fsw and could see when we got it cleared. Best vis I've ever dove! AMAZING.

Report to follow (once I finish this report for work -- on my day off again.) For the curious, temp: 50F, max depth 44 fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom