Cape Ann #3 - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you give a run down of who is who in the group photo, I know MSILVIA and Spectre but who are the rest???

shellbird once bubbled...
Can you give a run down of who is who in the group photo, I know MSILVIA and Spectre but who are the rest???

left to right :

northeastwrecks (Dan)
Gary
Mellisaphish
aaronbbrown
mshieldsdunn (king kong Matt)
spectre (Jeff)
msilvia (Matt)
raxafarian (Ken)
wackodacko (Jade)
mike

edited ... I think it's correct now.

See ya Sunday!

Rick L once bubbled...
10 divers damn it must have looked like a hot tub out there with all those bubbles:lurk:
How was the dive?
Rick L

Gawd that's funny.

msilvia had a funny underwater lobster experience.

Matt caught a little guy, measured him and found the bug to be too small...but not by much. Oh, well, rules are rules, so he dropped the lobster which then proceeded to swim INTO his game bag. I pointed this out to Matt and we tried to get the suicidal lobster out of the bag...he kept trying to swim back in! In the end, we got him out and continued diving, but I think Matt was tempted :).

He also caught a nice flounder! Man...I need a spear and a lobster license. It looked like too much fun. I can't stand fishing from a boat, but catching your dinner with your bare hands is exciting.

Aaron and I were buddies for both dives, and for the first, a large (1 meter) striped bass followed us until we turned around and headed for shore. That coincided with me spearing a 13 inch flounder, so I'm not too suprised he decided to stop hanging out! We were lobster hunting using my new shorty Hawiian sling for a tickle stick (which worked great), and it was Aaron's first time. After watching me, he made a few successful grabs, but we didn't get any that were legal. We only saw one that was big, and not until we were beginning to ascend. We did have one, as Aaron said, nearly insist on coming home with me, but "you have to be this tall to ride". Sorry kid... maybe next year.

I felt a bit overweighted, so I dropped 3 pounds before the next dive, and had no trouble getting down. I've already gone from 42 lbs on my belt this summer to 38 on belt and 4 on tank straps, so dropping to 35 and 4 was a nice change. I think I may even be able to get away with another 3, which would take me to a much more managable 32 and 4.

On the second dive, we saw a large sea raven, a grubby sculpin, several more stripers, and finally a lobster that seemed to be legal. I somehow managed to mis-measure it though, so when officer LaPlante checked it back at the car, we got the full lecture on how to measure lobsters correctly, and what the penalties were for keeping undersized ones. Jeff had lost or forgotten his gauge, so he had carried a few of questionable size to my car for measuring when the EPO (environmental police officer) showed up. He was very nice to us, considering we had three undersized lobsters at the car.

Back
Top Bottom