Canucks rule the Wings!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colby:
McCabe is slow, and now that he can't grab or pitchfork everyone, his defensive liabilities are rampant. He looks like a big pylon in his own end. He only made the taxi squad because of the media circus in Toronto.

I agree. The media circus is also why HNIC did a rare Tuesday evening broadcast yesterday. It was the first time that Sydney C. played the Maple Lafs, even though it was in Pittsburgh. CBC certainly does not give the same consideration to all of the other Canadian teams.

And while I am ranting a bit. They should dump those two broadcast fools Boob Cole and Hairless Neal. Their bias is a bit to obvious and Cole cannot pronounce names of players or locations correctly, unless of course they wear the blue and white.

colby:
Actually Phaneuf has played a lot of International play and was a force at the World Junior's last year. He is having a phenomenal season in a small market team. The teams in the West are better than the Eastern teams, and Calgary is up near the top.

McCabe's effectiveness on the special teams, read power play, has been negated since teams have figured out how to play him. Toronto's PP has slipped in recent weeks.

He was effective in the playoffs against Ottawa because...

good [early] morning colby,

don't worry bro, not knocking Phanuef's junior play - hell, it was rather epic. I was just trying to think of how the atmosphere of an olympic gold medal game would match up to, and I couldn't think of anything better than an intense playoff game (my example of Leafs vs. Sens was just a cheap shot. I actually was referring to any intense playoff series). I just couldn't compare it to the junior level international play (you disagree/agree?). Besides, McCabe has also performed at junior internationals (although definitely not as impressive as Dion) but what really matters is how they will perform at an olympic level. Now based on the assumption of a playoff-like atmosphere, the reason I said I'd chose him was because he has shown to perform in the playoffs. We could both vindicate why McCabe thrived (good or bad), but the bottom line is that he was an integral part of the team.

I do think that McCabe's stronger on the PP than the PK, but if you actually notice McCabe's shorthand play, he's a great hustler. His usual defensive partner Kaberle is a complete defensive moron who gives up half way through the PK and cannot clear the net to save his life. It's unbearable to watch (note, I haven't watched any of this season since they don't have coverage here. :( But I'm pretty sure the Leaf's PK is still the same emotional roller coaster it has been since Quinn took the head coach job).

As for the media hype, I wouldn't boil it down as the reason why McCabe was chosen. If that was the case, we'd most likely see Crosby instead of Staal in the reserve list. I mean, Lemieux was vouching hard for the guy. And then with the media attention Spezza got (including Heatley & others cheering for him), he probably would have been on the roster. As for McCabe, even Quinn said he wasn't a top choice even though he has the most goals, assists, and points for a defencemen this season.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my comments and thought process of why I would choose McCabe over Phaneuf. You said you wouldn't, that's cool, I welcome your disagreement, heck, I even expected it! Who knows, I could be mincing my words if McCabe is called to dress and gets a stupid penalty in the dying minutes of a 1-1 Gold medal match... feel free to quote me a rub it in my face. :)

you have any additional thoughts on the roster?

We'll have to wait and see about McCabe. If it wasn't for Quinn's love of big stupid defensemen that play like he used to, insert Belak and Berg here, Toronto may have a decent defensive unit. The young guys are starting to pick up, so there is some hope there, especially if Quinn gets fired and Ferguson can continue the re-building. But McCabe would be a 5-6 defenseman on any other team, maybe 3-4 if the team was weak, but definately not a top 2-3 guy night after night. Quinn has downplayed it, but he has always been a little secretive, what with the "upper body" injury statements he would make. I think he had some influence in the decision.

I understand what is being done with the team. I don't really like Foote or Doan being included. I don't think they earned the right. To say that they were there before, I don't know. Why don't they give Theo Fleury a call from where ever he is. The Bertuzzi choice took a lot of heat here in Canada. A lot of people felt that he should pay for his mistake forever. There has been some terrible incidents in hockey before, and there will be more after. He paid his crime, and has done his time, it wasn't his fault that the league was locked out for a year.

If you really want to see a crime, you should have seen Darcy Tucker in a fight the other night, pulled the helmet off of the guy, and then hit him a few times in the head with the loose helpmet. Nice $2500 fine. Sets a good precedent.

colby:
If you really want to see a crime, you should have seen Darcy Tucker in a fight the other night, pulled the helmet off of the guy, and then hit him a few times in the head with the loose helpmet. Nice $2500 fine. Sets a good precedent.

Being Darcy Tucker, are you really surprised?

Actually, after seeing what had happened earlier in the game to Tucker (getting hit in the mouth with a stickblade), I suppose I can understand a little heated emotions -- but there was NO excuse for what he did with the guy's helmet.

Back to the original thread
Vancouver 45 games played, 55 points
Detroit 45 games played, 63 points

BUT

OTTAWA only 43 games played, 63 points. Even with the injuries they still managed to hold their ground. Can't wait for the second half of the season.

colby:

How about this incident? http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/01/251328.html

To summarize:
"Godard got up and skated across the ice to retaliate - punching Williams in the head area from behind near the benches.

Williams laid on the ice for several moments while fans chanted for Godard to be thrown out of the game. Godard was called for roughing and charging on the play."

Sounds familiar.... And all he got was a two game suspension.

Bill.

tedtim:
Back to the original thread
Vancouver 45 games played, 55 points
Detroit 45 games played, 63 points

BUT

OTTAWA only 43 games played, 63 points. Even with the injuries they still managed to hold their ground. Can't wait for the second half of the season.

Have Ottawa or Detroit gone on a losing streak yet? I can't help but wonder where Vancouver would be if they hadn't lost so many games over the past month. They threw away something like 20 points.

Bill.

Ottawa has lost two games in a row three times this season. Not much of a losing streak.

Detroit lost four in a row in November and two in a row a couple of times.

I want Spezza back!!!! my hockey pool is suffering from his lack of production....

Ottawa and Detroit....neither has beat the Canucks this year....
:):):):):):)

Mike Veitch:
I want Spezza back!!!! my hockey pool is suffering from his lack of production....

Ottawa and Detroit....neither has beat the Canucks this year....
:):):):):):)

We want him back also.

But Ottawa beat Minnesota 6-1 last night, doesn't Vancouver have a hard time beating them?!?

I'm heading out your way tomorrow, is it still raining?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom