Can't take it anymore!!! Moving to Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure there are reasons for moving to Sarasota other then diving but if you have options take a closer look at SE Florida. 100+ vis days on reefs 1 mile off-shore...Regardless, welcome to Florida.

Sarasota is a good location for gulf diving and you have access to the east coast and the springs within a couple of hours drive. SRQ (KSRQ) is the airport designation code for Sarasota/Bradenton International. Welcome to Florida and get ready to trade in those pesky earthquakes for some hurricanes.:D

you can go 2-3 hrs. in any direction and see some cool stuf.... From venice/englewood area a 2-3 hour drive sends you to north Tampa, Clearwater, Longboat Key, Boca Grande, Ft Myers, Naples, All on the Westcoast.... Or on the Eastcoast you got Vero Beach, Stuart, West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and If you drive really really fast.... lol Key largo... maby 3 1/2 hrs.... but still doiable on a weekend... and don't forget all the springs... viz is usualy unlimited in the springs unless we have alot of flooding. but you can always dive somewhere unless theres a HURICANE.....

you can go 2-3 hrs. in any direction and see some cool stuf.... From venice/englewood area a 2-3 hour drive sends you to north Tampa, Clearwater, Longboat Key, Boca Grande, Ft Myers, Naples, All on the Westcoast.... Or on the Eastcoast you got Vero Beach, Stuart, West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and If you drive really really fast.... lol Key largo... maby 3 1/2 hrs.... but still doiable on a weekend... and don't forget all the springs... viz is usualy unlimited in the springs unless we have alot of flooding. but you can always dive somewhere unless theres a HURICANE.....

Umm..Jupiter? :D

Welcome, look forward to diving with you. The east coast is nice and I dive their often but the gulf has some very nice diving too. Each coast has it's pros and cons. Lately the vis has been above average in the gulf and it is close to home.
I do a lot of spearfishing in the gulf and Jupiter. Post up when you get in and we can make plans to blow some bubbles!

Thanks Gang, I'm used to the earthquakes out here...actually I like them. There's something pretty amazing about having the house shake back and forth....

I've lived in Cayman so I have been close to Hurricanes but NOT a direct hit....that's the difference between hurricanes and earthquakes...an earthquake lasts 10 seconds and you go on with life while a hurricane can last hours....

We're basically looking at Sarasota because we know somebody there and the fact that real estate is pretty reasonable.

where would you guys suggest as far as S/E Florida is concerned!! I'm a freelance graphic designer/marketer by trade so I can live anywhere and work...

Thanks again, we are BOTH VERY EXCITED about moving and diving with Y'ALL!!!

dive safe,

Jeff

Dr. Bill It never ceases to amaze me where you turn up!! I've followed many of your posts on the SoCal board.

In all my dives at Catalina (5) since moving here in July of last year... I have never seen anything beyond 20 feet....just bad timing I guess...

I have no life other than diving, editing and the boards!

Must admit, conditions have not been great unless you hit the right day by chance. Vis in the park was 50-60 ft early in the morning Fri and yesterday, but dropped to 30 ft by mid afternoon.

I have no life other than diving, editing and the boards.

Boy can I relate to that...I think my problem was I never dove with the legend of Catalina...that holey wetsuit...:D

I'd love to get in one more trip to the island before we leave though.

Dive safe,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom