Back after a long break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMcKay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, my wife and I have retired, kicked the kids out and are ready to start diving again. We first certified in 1993 in san Luis Obispo Ca, my wife only did a dozen or so dives in total, I got hooked and took my training to dive master and was on the way to assistant instructor until 9/11 occurred. We were living in the Pismo beach area of California at the time and after 9/11 my work at American Airlines tried to transfer me to Texas, I opted out of my carreer with them and moved to the Central Valley of California and that’s when diving pretty much came to an end for us, two little kids to raise and my new job was consuming every free second. Fast forward to today, retired now living in the mountains of arizona. Got the bug again (it never really left me) and now we have both the time and money to start diving warm waters. I’m amazed at how much the industry has changed over the years. Wife wanted a refresher course and i suggested a do-over for OW, I’ve decided even though I dove at an advanced level with several hundred dIves, I too would take an OW course with her. Looking forward to new adventures and seeing all the changes I’ve missed.

Jeff

Hi @JMcKay

I was 1st certified in 1970 and did a couple hundred dives in Southern California between then and 1980. I did not dive for 17 years and then got recertified with my son, when he turned 12. It was not necessary that I do a repeat OW class and it was extremely easy for me. However, it was a positive experience doing the classroom, pool, and open water activities with my son. We have been diving together for 25 years.

My wife and daughter did their initial OW together when my daughter turned 12. The whole family has been diving together for 21 years now.

Best of luck in restarting your diving

Welcome to ScubaBoard and welcome back to diving! Can't wait to hear about your progress as divers.

Hi @JMcKay

I was 1st certified in 1970 and did a couple hundred dives in Southern California between then and 1980. I did not dive for 17 years and then got recertified with my son, when he turned 12. It was not necessary that I do a repeat OW class and it was extremely easy for me. However, it was a positive experience doing the classroom, pool, and open water activities with my son. We have been diving together for 25 years.

My wife and daughter did their initial OW together when my daughter turned 12. The whole family has been diving together for 21 years now.

Best of luck in restarting your diving
I’ve decided to retake OW and Nitrox with the wife just because. I don’t think I’ll have much problems either but she really never did much after open water training. I’m looking forward to it actually, seems I’ve found a good, competent shop and instructor down in Phoenix of all places. Guess I’ll need new gear, my reg set was made in 1985! Loved that thing but it’s time to retire it.

Welcome back. Annual recurrent, like pilots are required to perform, is good risk management.

Get wet!

Where are you diving now?
Will mostly be tropical, Florida, Caribbean so on. I was an avid California hunter so I will be making trips back to the Channel Islands on occasion and Mexico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom