Can't take it anymore!!! Moving to Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Gang,

I just can't take it anymore!! My wife and I are moving from California to Sarasota in July. We moved out here specifically for the kelp and seal diving. Unfortunately the viz is highly exaggerated out here. Most of my dives have been in less than 10 foot viz with the best dive being somewhere in the 20-25' range.

What are the best shops in the Sarasota area? How long is the drive to the springs from Sarasota? I'm sure I'll think of a million questions to bug yas with... :D

I'm an instructor that has lived and worked in the Great Lakes of Canada (LOVE my wrecks), Cayman and southern California. Now I want beautiful Florida on my list.

Both my wife and I are looking forward to meeting new dive buddies and friends.

Dive Safe,

Jeff & Dani

Welcome Jeff & Dani. (well almost)

I live here in the middle of SRQ. Great town. Lot to see and do. Can give you guys great pointers once you get here.

(Copied from an earlier post)
In Srq there are three good shops worth mentioning.

Florida Underwater Sports - PADI Florida Underwater Sports
Located on the South US 41 between the Gulf gate Mall and Sarasota Square Mall. About 1.5 miles south of Stickney Point Rd.
I did classes through them. (OW and Nitrox) ScubaPro dealer, newer shop, lots of newer types of goodies on the walls and awesome instructors. By far the best shop (IMHO).

ScubaQuest - NAUI Scuba Quest
Located also on US 41, they're just North of Bahia Vista Ave. Great prices. Tent sales 4 to 5 times a year. 7 locations all around the area.

Ocean Pro Dive Shop - PADI Welcome to oceanprodive.com
Location is on Bee Ridge Rd about 3/4 mile East from US 41 (Yes, US 41 cuts through SRQ). Smaller shop but older LOTS of goodies on walls. Big selection of wetsuits.

All have Nitrox available. No trimixs in the area I believe. All offer many charters.

PM me for add. info about the area and details about the shops.

Last edited:
From Sarasota you are about 2 and a half hours to the nearest spring. You will love the area. There is a ton of diving in this area and a lot of us that dive. I am in the water almost every weekend. So welcome to the area (soon anyway). Can't wait to meet you guys and do some diving.

My wifes uncle owns ScubaQuest, and I worked there a while back in the summer time. I was certified there as well. Great store good prices. They usually have a couple dives a week and on weekends.

They do have cool reefs near the Sarasota area, but I haven't had much luck getting good viz. But the last three weeks around here have been great from what I hear. Had some rain lets hope the viz stays good and I can get some quality dives in :)

Tight Lines,
Javy

If you still can, move to the east coast of Florida. The diving in the gulf isn't all that great.

Hmm... diving Laguna or other areas of the mainland can be disappointing due to low vis and swell, but did you try the offshore islands. Vis in our Catalina dive park yesterday was 60 ft.

I think you'll love Sarasota. My Mom lives there and I enjoy visiting her. However, I've never dived the west coast of Florida... it seems the worthwhile dive sites are all well offshore and long boat trips. Sarasota divers, please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong... you might convince me to dive there next trip.

If you still can, move to the east coast of Florida. The diving in the gulf isn't all that great.

+1
My fellow Boilermaker said it first.

Thanks all for the welcomes (almost) and the info. Dani and I look forward to diving with you all and learning about what Floridian waters have to offer

Dr. Bill It never ceases to amaze me where you turn up!! I've followed many of your posts on the SoCal board.

In all my dives at Catalina (5) since moving here in July of last year... I have never seen anything beyond 20 feet....just bad timing I guess...

far as I know that is the Airport designation ~LAX

I think SRQ is easier to say than "the Sarasota/Bradenton Area :)

I may be wrong, but I seldm am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom