Can't make up my mind on "where in the Caymans"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rpeiffer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just found Scubaboard and so far it seems like a great pleace for info.

Myself and two friends are going to the caymans for our annual "guys" trip. Can't decide which island or where. Ages 38 - 55. Like to have beer or two or ten but not a big concern while on a dive trip. Adv cert w/ nitrox.

LC and which resort or GC and which side then which resort. Worried about going in early Feb and stayin on the East side with the winds out of the north.
Any ideas appreciated!
Scott

Hey good luck. Also check out the geographic location dive discussions and post your question there.

Let us know how your dive trip goes & what you find out.

I may be living in PA soon, I just applied to the Wharton School of Business. And it's competitive, but hopefully!

Welcome to the ScubBoard! As suggested check out the forums threads on dive locations lotsa good info there....
Hope your trip goes well from a former York, PA guy now living in the Heart of the Colorado Rocky Mtns, actually the foothills ;.)

Little Cayman is spectacular diving, but little else to do. Little Cayman Beach Resort is great. Nothing fancy, but what do a bunch of guys on a dive trip need fancy for? Hanging out at their little bar is fun, or you can try the Hungry Iguana, the only bar/restaurant that is not part of a resort.

Check out the Sunset House on GC --- combination hotel/dive facility on the West side with on-site dock and shore diving, nice ocean-front open bar... reasonable dive/stay packages and airport transfers included, so no rental car needed (everything on site or walking distance) motto is : a place for divers, run by divers

We're big fans of Little Cayman Beach Resort on LC and Cobalt Coast on GC -- can't go wrong with either, imo.

I have not been to Little Cayman so I cannot comment on that island.

As for Grand Cayman, I would recommend the west side of the island. This for two primary reasons: 1) Most of the dive sites are on the west and south sides. 2) There is ALOT more to do on shore during "Surface Intervals".

I would suggest just the opposite, avoid the West. Most of the dive sites are not on the west and south - just the ones that are better known and have been commonly dove for a long time. There's plenty of sites North and East too and they're better. There's more to do on the west end, but it's also a much busier and sometimes congested area. I'm a fan of Cobalt Coast/Divetech on the northwest corner, or anyplace on the East end with Ocean Frrontiers. I've stayed at Sunset House a couple times and am not a fan, just think there's a few much nicer/better places to stay and dive.

thanks for the input. Decided on Little Cayman Beach Resort. Lots of good reviews on here for them. Not looking for much more than a few beers in the afternoon/evening then back to the basics...sleeping and diving. I'll post a review when we're back.

We are also fans of Divetech @ Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman. Divetech will dive North when ever the weather permits plus they have the boats to handle the seas. They have 3 different docks on 3 sides of the island so they cover alot of dive sites and they always have someplace to dive with calm seas. Also, a big plus is their shore diving at both their shops which will be some of your best dives with pristine reefs with abundance of marine life, then it is free with the boat package.

We save LC for our summer vacation because the winter weather in LC is always a question for diving the best sight. We also heard that LC is having alot of their dive sites moorings removed to give their reefs a rest this winter. We rent a private condo in LC and dive with Reef Divers @ LC Beach Resort.

Have great trip....

Back
Top Bottom