Can't find a good movie or documentary about Scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monty halls dive mysteries?
I've watched this series and enjoyed it.

Another thing I do is search youtube for diving videos when I just want to watch something dive related. You can find lots of long videos for specific locations. I actually saw one the other day that was several hours long.

Blue World by Johnathan Bird

Monthy Hall's Dive Mysteries

Last Breath by Richard De Costa

(1) A bit campy but "Sharks Treasure" was pretty good.
(2) a classic is "Blue Water White Death", lots of diving and shark action.
(3) Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (funny), but watch "Blue Water White Death", first, it is a lot funnier and explains some scenes that make no sense to those that never saw BWWD.
(4) "Abyss" was pretty good

I've enjoyed watching Sid Perou's old cave diving and caving videos from youtube.

Underground eiger

I suggest that you start from the very beginning, when scuba diving was done with pure oxygen CC rebreathers, not air tanks.
Here "Diving in the red sea", featuring Hans Hass and his wonderful wife Lotte.
Please note that this film was awarded the Oscar prize in 1950. Much before Cousteau, Hass was the real pioneer of underwater films! And Lotte was the first underwater model and actress.
But what matters more for me, Hans Hass was a top-level marine scientist, and he was the founder of the branch of marine biology which relates the acoustical soundscape to the animal behaviour (in both senses, environmental sound interfering with their life, and sound emitted by marine animals for communicating). In this film you see his early experiments on this topic, which is what I am still doing today!

Se please, watch it with great respect.

Check out the Cayman Went movie on vimeo:

About Cayman Went:

"TV personality Josh Anders (Michael Lombardi) is a legend in his own mind … and even he has doubts. Ratings are down and the hottie star of Diver Down (a male Baywatch) can’t get arrested in Hollywood these days. When the smug pretty boy receives an ultimatum from an ultra-wealthy, powerful and unethical resort developer – who also happens to own the network that broadcasts his show – Josh finds himself the key player in a land grab scheme targeting the picturesque, unspoiled and tiny Caribbean island of Cayman Brac. The laid-back locals, most of them big fans, are putty in his hands, except for the eccentric Mr. Bowman, a cranky retiree who’s never even heard of the show. Secretly petrified of the ocean, Josh just wants to close the deal and go home. That is until Mr. Bowman, a parentless kid named Rodney and Darby Thomas (Susan Misner), the beautiful but opinionated owner of the local Sand Bar, change his mind about what really matters most. A romantic drama that proves It’s all good … if you just know what to look for."​

I love Cayman Went, it is a small, quiet film, a little corny but with a subtle sense of humor; and the real star of the movie are the gorgeous above/below water scenes of the small island of Cayman Brac.

The movie includes lots of shots of the beautiful Cayman Brac island and some familiar locations like The Captain's Table restaurant. La Esperanza has been converted into a bar and restaurant called The Sand Bar. The Brac Heritage House is the setting for the Cayman Went Bed & Breakfast.

InDepth Watersports provided the diving and underwater support for the film; and a few scenes were filmed at Boatswain's Beach on Grand Cayman. There are some gorgeous underwater sequences including scenes of the Russian Frigate (Tibbetts) wreck, before it was ripped in half by a hurricane. Some of the locals appear in the film, mostly in background shots.

Below are some links for the trailer and information about the film. The last link is for the entire film streaming online on vimeo.

Cayman Went Trailer (2009)

Cayman Went comes Brac - Cayman Compass

Cayman Went in Cayman Brac - Cayman Compass

Full movie on vimeo:

Okay, since no one has yet mentioned these two classics, I will. These are Jacques Cousteau's first two big hit movies.

The Silent World

World Without Sun

Both are available on YouTube, full length (be careful, or you may get the French versions). Both won Academy Awards.

SeaRat

These are Jacques Cousteau's first two big hit movies.

The Silent World

World Without Sun

Both are available on YouTube, full length
THANK YOU for this post. I had never actually seen The Silent World, even though I am quite familiar with it. To find both of these on my favorite 'COVID time' movie channel is a treasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom