Can't fill AL tanks 5+ years old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubabunny
Ohhhh....after reading the link, I'm betting they left out a few words. I bet they ment they would fill tanks "who's hydro" is over 5 years old, which is standard practice.

I don't think you are right. The site says that they cannot fill steel tanks more than 10 yrs old or Al tanks that are more than 5. 10 years is not exactly a standard hydro interval.

Essentially they seem to be saying they will only fill "new" tanks. Could this be an insurance issue?

The AL's I can see if it hasn't been tested for Neckcracks (VIP+), but the steels I am a little confused on since I am not aware of any steels that are well with in the CURRENT hydro and VIP having any problems. I agree they just might be betting on the side of caution. If I was them I would increase the cost of the live aboard and just include all of my own tanks.

all we can acuse them is of being overly cautious. I can not condemn a facility who imposes a stricter requirement both on themselves and their clientele.

Back
Top Bottom