Cant equalise not even above water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dapex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I passed my OW last summer but it was hard going due to issues equalizing... A couple of dives were fantastic (the ones with no hood) and I had no trouble at all... but others I really struggled to equalise... I went to see an ENT who told me I have a small nose and so small sinus and so small Eustachian tubes and to take a steroid nasal spray. (i felt the pressue on my ears in the deep end of the pool)

I have since hardly dived becase on my only few attemps I have not been able to equalise, Now I know that the standard response is that new divers struggle etc, but please believe me.. I have watched the divers ear under pressure video, I have wathced and read so many articles... I do know how to equalise and I know to do it often while diving... My last dive I managed to equalise above water, then got into stoney cove and as soon as my head was underwater I tried and couldnt do it.... I did try dropping and got nothing but a popping and crackling sound in my ear while trying to clear them... I ended up just sticking to 5m for the whole dive.. Before that dive I had been taking lotradine hayfever tablets for 2 weeks, I took a sudafed nasal spray about 30 mins before I dropped in and nothing helped...

So, the obvious answer is to keep on trying while above ground and I now find I can only even equalise about 50% of the time.. the rest of the time nothing happens at all.

I am still taking my hayfever tablets, I have cut milk out of my diet totally (now only drink black coffee) and I am running ot of idea's...

Any thoughts??

If it helps I have always struggled to clear my ears when on the plane to holiday as well.....

Cheers

First question is how do you 'equalize'. Not all methods work for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I do the normal hold nose and blow, if I blow gently nothing happens, sometimes if I blow really hard and fast it helps, I have tried holding my nose and yawning, jutting my jaw out, stretching my neck, trying to get my ear near my sholder to stretch the tbes open...

I have used a nelimed sinus rinse a few times and nothing happend( I didnt get nay gunk or anything wash out)

The doc has currently put me on flixonase (ifluticasone propionate) which I take as 1 shot up each nostirl once per day and I swear that is making things worse.

Try "puffing" your cheeks up before you blow. I have no idea why this works but early in my dive career I was having a lot of trouble equalizing and someone told me to do this and it worked really well. I thought I would have to give up diving because of equalization issues and now my wears equalize on the descent on their own without any nose pinch etc.

Don't give up it will work out :)

I did try dropping and got nothing but a popping and crackling sound in my ear while trying to clear them... I ended up just sticking to 5m for the whole dive..
Popping and crackling is exactly what you're supposed to hear when you equalize. I don't think it's possible to get to 5m depth without equalizing at all, not without some significant pain in your ear anyway. So to me it sounds like you were equalizing just fine.

Welcome Dapex

A few thoughts:

The first 5 meters of depth has some of the greatest pressure changes. For most of us, if we can make it to 20 feet or so the rest is little to no problem.

Not really sure how pertinent a "small nose" would be to equalization. If the ET is indeed small, I could see that causing issues, especially if there is any degree of added congestion further compromising air passage.

If you don't have any underlying nasal symptoms, I'm doubtful that Loratadine or a steroid NS will help much with your equilization. If you are having allergies/sinus issues beyond just equalization problems with diving, then they should help as well as the nasal saline rinse you mentioned.

When using the over the counter nasal decongestant spray, try using it an hour prior to diving instead and make sure it is a long acting version.

Everyone's different but for me, the most effective maneuver is to gently valsalva then if still not completely cleared, continue valsalva and swallow.

Good Luck!

Popping and crackling is exactly what you're supposed to hear when you equalize. I don't think it's possible to get to 5m depth without equalizing at all, not without some significant pain in your ear anyway. So to me it sounds like you were equalizing just fine.

you are right... I did manage to equalise a couple of time getting down to 5 meters but it was very very hard going.. I tried to eqalise with every other breath and dropping very slowly and I had to keep coming back up a bit and then trying again.... After the 5 meters I simply couldnt clear and even going back up a meter didnt help and it was hurting slightly.. So I stayed at 5 meters.. When I got out the water 40 mins later both ears were totally clogged and I knew I had no chance of equalising again so I missed the 2nd dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom