can't download video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just inherited a sony dcr hc-42 camcorder. Unfortunately it did not have the software that came with it. I cannot seem to download the video to my computer. I am using Nero 2. I can get the computer to recognize the camera, and it looks like it is downloading the video when I try to fetch it. But when I try to open it on my computer I only get a blue screen, no vidio image. I am stuck, don't know if it is the software or do I need a new video card. The computer is only a year old so I would imagine my video card should work but I really have not worked with video before.
Thanks for any advice.

Are you trying to use USB or IEEE 1394 (Fire Wire)?

Well... first of all... The USB video capture kind of sucks compared to the IEEE 1394 (Firewire / DV Out from the camera)

For USB download of video, you have to use the SONY software that came with the camera. "sony picture package" I believe that you can download the picture package software from sonystyle.com

The Firewire IS the way to go. If you are serious about getting good video, and making DVD's of your stuff... I would get a firewire.

OK...thanks. The only cable I have is a usb and it plugs into the docking station. I do see a plug on the docking station that says DV, I will assume that is for the firewire you are talking about. I will go to best buy and pick one up. Thank for the advice.

superstar:
OK...thanks. The only cable I have is a usb and it plugs into the docking station. I do see a plug on the docking station that says DV, I will assume that is for the firewire you are talking about. I will go to best buy and pick one up. Thank for the advice.
I don't know about the Nero software, but if you are using Windows XP, it comes with "windows movie maker" (Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment) - Which has video capture via FireWire, and basic editing.
I use Adobe Premier, but it's expensive. The windows movie maker is free.

Good Luck

Howard,

Thank you for the advice, it worked great. I bought a firewire and discovered that I did not have a firewire plug on my computer. So I bought a USB/fire wire card for my computer. I wanted more USB plugs anyway. Installed the card, plugged in the camera and the "windows mivie maker" automatically started so I used it to capture the video.

superstar:
Howard,

Thank you for the advice, it worked great. I bought a firewire and discovered that I did not have a firewire plug on my computer. So I bought a USB/fire wire card for my computer. I wanted more USB plugs anyway. Installed the card, plugged in the camera and the "windows mivie maker" automatically started so I used it to capture the video.
:D :D

On this and on another thread people have written that using USB for video "sucks." While that may be (is) true for USB 1.x, is that also true for USB 2.x? If I'm not mistaken, 2.x actually has a faster transfer rate than Firewire.

Peter Guy:
On this and on another thread people have written that using USB for video "sucks." While that may be (is) true for USB 1.x, is that also true for USB 2.x? If I'm not mistaken, 2.x actually has a faster transfer rate than Firewire.
Ah ha - looking forward to educated comments here... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom