Can't breathe in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dark_basic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

A few months ago I went diving for my first time in puget sound, needless to say it was very cold. When I took my mask off and tried to breathe through my reg I couldn't. My body won't let me breathe when there is cold water in my nose. I love diving and aspire to become a Navy SEAL. This is a problem I need to fix quickly. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
C

This happens to a lot of people, (don't fret). One of the easiest methods to work around this is to aclimate your face to the water. You can do this by geting your face in the water just before you go in to get rid of some of the initial shock. You can also leak some water into your mask prior to taking it completely off to get your face used to the temperature difference.

One last thing you can do to practice/work on this task is to breath from your reg without your mask on the surface as well.

Trust me within a few days you'll have it mastered.

Ahhh, cold water diving :D

This is common for those that are not used to it, the cold is quite a shock to the sytem. As already mentioned and all I can say is practice this skill. Start letting the water in slowly to adjust to the temperature and then work your way up to where you can pull the mask right off in one go.

It will come with practice. I went through the same thing and it did not take that long to get used to it. The water is still cold though.

If you can't breathe with cold water in the nose, how to you clear the mask when the mask is flooded?

Your brain needs to learn that you are infact not drowning! This might seem silly, but it's a fact. You have a reflex that stops you from inhaling. As soon as you've done it a couple of times it's no longer an issue. Practice, and you'll be allright. Oh, and by the way. The water wasn't that cold in the Puget Sound, a few months ago. :wink:

Hey all,

A few months ago I went diving for my first time in puget sound, needless to say it was very cold. When I took my mask off and tried to breathe through my reg I couldn't. My body won't let me breathe when there is cold water in my nose. I love diving and aspire to become a Navy SEAL. This is a problem I need to fix quickly. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
C

A good way to practice this as well is to fill your sink or bathtub up and put some ice in there to make the water extra chilly. Use a snorkel without your mask and it will help you get used to the feeling and help prevent over breathing.

David

A good way to practice this as well is to fill your sink or bathtub up and put some ice in there to make the water extra chilly. Use a snorkel without your mask and it will help you get used to the feeling and help prevent over breathing.

David

I second that. And the logistics is a breeze compared to doing it at the beach, ha ha! :D

I agree with the suggestions made.

Hey all,

I love diving and aspire to become a Navy SEAL.

If you make it into BUD/S training, you'll get cured of cold water shock.:wink: Remember, for Navy SEALs, the diving isn't glamorous. It's just one vehicle or tool to get the job done.

As already stated...dip your face in the water at the surface..breathing off of your reg...hold it there for atleast 10 seconds or so. If the water is really cold...it will hurt really bad...and then go dumb. Go diving and if your mask comes off your face will be acclimated.

Dripping water in your mask is a so-so idea...it has its purpose for students, but realistically if your mask is coming off your face during a dive and its not a drill...the water wont just leak in slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom