Can't believe what I am seeing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been watching the many shark shows we recorded on Tivo from Shark Week and we've got a Nova CD - "Shark Attack" in the machine right now. I'm watching folks who are supposed to be Scuba qualified researchers (some say they have been diving for quite a number of years) and cannot believe some the sloppy practices I'm seeing. Any number of these folks are diving with unsecured octos and consoles, and the dude I just saw in the Nova show was on the verge of having his tank slip from his BC!!! Are these guys just unskilled? sloppy? bored and not paying attention??
I'd expect to see some of this going on with novice rec divers like myself, but I'd think guys who do this stuff to make their living wouldn't be going about their business like this....:11:

Mark

I spent a week on a research vessel and alot of the diving equipment was beat up. The whole boat was a bit beat up. The operations are on a shoestring budget so there isn't much left over to buy things like octo holders and guage retractors. Sport divers earn a living doing other things than diving so we have disposable income to buy really nice gear. Most sport divers are also very much into the gear and gadgets so we may think it is necessary to have a octo holder. The scientist may not even know what an octo holder is. But then the average sport diver probably doesn't know what a stromatolite is.

I think that sport divers think all is Cristal in the world. I wish that some day I get the Chance to see whought they have seen. I would like to dive with them for a season.

DivingsInMyBlood:
you figure that normally researchers and all would take care and protect the underwater enviroment more so than a a diver who goes somewhere sunny on their hoildays once a year and dives.
Jacques Cousteau used dynamite around the Blue Hole to get his ship ‘Calypso’ to the inside. Sometimes great men do bad things.

superstar:
I spent a week on a research vessel and alot of the diving equipment was beat up. The whole boat was a bit beat up. The operations are on a shoestring budget so there isn't much left over to buy things like octo holders and guage retractors. Sport divers earn a living doing other things than diving so we have disposable income to buy really nice gear. Most sport divers are also very much into the gear and gadgets so we may think it is necessary to have a octo holder. The scientist may not even know what an octo holder is. But then the average sport diver probably doesn't know what a stromatolite is.

Ok.. I give.... I guess I'm just an average sport diver.....
what the heck IS a stromatolite?

:popcorn:

Hell, I thought everyone knew what a stromtolite was. Around here it is an ataached, lithified sedimentary growth structure, accretionary away from a point or limited surface of initiation. Some types ore morphologies including conical, stratiform, branchi g, dormal and columnar.Probably formed by the trapping, binding and cementation of sedimentary grains by microorganisms like cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). Pretty simple when you think about it.

Stromatolites were abundant in the Precambrian but are rare today (a few locations including where Perry's Caribbean Marine Research Station is on Stock Island in the Bahamas).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom