Can't believe what I am seeing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
What a letdown!

All morning I have been in a real tizzy, anxiously awaiting the noon hour, so I could get back to this thread and see what you had to say about scientific divers with lots of danglies and really bad form. And THIS is all I get?:(
I am not responsible for the diving performance of anyone that a third party (in this case most whom are poorly skilled reporters) claim to be "scientific divers" any more than any one of you (except perhaps NetDoc:D) is responsible for the piss-poor performance of the worst recreational divers that you've ever seen.

Show me an example of that sort of performance from one who claims the scientific diver excemption to CFR 1910.401(a)(2)(iv) (or who is subject to the oversight of a Scripps model (AAUS) Research Diving Safety Program), and I will be happy to have a candid conversation with his or her DSO, outside of that group anyone who wants can style themselves anything that they choose (e.g., I see lots of divers claim "AAUS Certfication," but in fact there is no such thing. One can be certified by an institution that subscribes to AAUS standards, but that's hardly the same thing).

dayum, Thal comes out swinging.

harsh! but enjoyable.

superstar:
How many of you divers that are extra carfull to keep danglies off the reef eat shrimp?
The shrimpers nets draging over the oceans bottom does way more destruction than a sport divers danglie. So as it is important not to drag your octo on the bottom you may do more good if you don't eat shrimp.

rut roh...we had somone else bring this point up before.....intersting what kind of backlash this will bring.....(can I post a :popcorn: on this or no?)

Research divers are often very destructive. Always need another study to study a study so you can apply for more governmen welfare--oops--I mean research grants.

The shriping industry also causes a lot of damage and pressure need to be put on that industry to stop dragging nets or force the government to have drag net free zones. N

Nemrod:
Research divers are often very destructive. Always need another study to study a study so you can apply for more governmen welfare--oops--I mean research grants.
Specifics?

Cousteau blowing a hole in the reef was not done in pursuit of science it was in pursuit of profit from the production of entertainment.

Nemrod:
The shriping industry also causes a lot of damage and pressure need to be put on that industry to stop dragging nets or force the government to have drag net free zones.
Agreed, a major problem.

Thalassamania:
I am not responsible for the diving performance of anyone that a third party (in this case most whom are poorly skilled reporters) claim to be "scientific divers" any more than any one of you (except perhaps NetDoc:D) is responsible for the piss-poor performance of the worst recreational divers that you've ever seen.

Show me an example of that sort of performance from one who claims the scientific diver excemption to CFR 1910.401(a)(2)(iv) (or who is subject to the oversight of a Scripps model (AAUS) Research Diving Safety Program), and I will be happy to have a candid conversation with his or her DSO, outside of that group anyone who wants can style themselves anything that they choose (e.g., I see lots of divers claim "AAUS Certfication," but in fact there is no such thing. One can be certified by an institution that subscribes to AAUS standards, but that's hardly the same thing).

Now THAT was more like it. I feel much better now.

Garrobo:
Hell, I thought everyone knew what a stromtolite was. Around here it is an ataached, lithified sedimentary growth structure, accretionary away from a point or limited surface of initiation. Some types ore morphologies including conical, stratiform, branchi g, dormal and columnar.Probably formed by the trapping, binding and cementation of sedimentary grains by microorganisms like cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). Pretty simple when you think about it.

Wow... and all this time I thought it was a wierd kinda' sandwich...

:dork2:

I don't recall ever seeing a diver on TV in good form. I take that back...there was once and that was a Wes Skiles Show.

None of the TV stuff is any worse than the dive magazine pictures. I used to have a collection of the most over the top stuff from the magazines. Even the pictures in the literature of some of the training agencies show a pretty high level of cluelessness though so what would you expect. LOL monkey see, monkey do.

scubafool:
Now THAT was more like it. I feel much better now.
My pleasure, musn't have the Scubafool lose sleep.:wink:

superstar:
Most sport divers are also very much into the gear and gadgets so we may think it is necessary to have a octo holder. The scientist may not even know what an octo holder is. But then the average sport diver probably doesn't know what a stromatolite is.

Maybe the "average sport diver" doesn't go farting around without regard to protocol in some scientists Laboratory just because they got certified to use the bunson burner in high school science class. Poor practice and dangerous disregard "is what it is".

Back
Top Bottom