Can't believe what I am seeing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What? Research Scientists with danglies and slipping tanks? Thal, say it isn't so! :D

You can divide the scuba community into two camps:
  1. Those who view diving as only a method to accomplish something.
  2. Those who view diving as an acquired skill set.
The first group cares more about the results of their diving, be it fun, research or whatever they dive for. Quite often their skills and gear setup are below what we see as a norm here on ScubaBoard.

The second group studies diving and approaches it with a Zen like attitude. They often will focus on the SKILLS of diving over any other reason to dive.

Of course there are so many, like myself who fall into BOTH camps with equal ease and that's OK. We love to dive and take great pride in our acquired skills. But then, we are OK with others who don't quite put the emphasis on doing things precisely the way that we do.

Which approach is best is entirely dependent on WHY you dive. Those who are ensconced only in one camp, just don't get the other one. I would ask that you swim a mile in their fins before being truly critical. The art of Scuba has improved over the last few years, and the internet has had a lot to do with that. In fact, I would say that a lot of this improvement is due to :sblogo: and am quite proud of that!

I was watching Shark Week as well and I've seen some of the same crazy practices. Personally, I think the government should spend a little more money on our marine biology and our scientists who are doing everything in their power to research and protect what's left. I mean, come on...how much does a silicone octo holder cost? $1.25? Then again...$1.25 in Iraq...I won't go there...

Even if they can't afford a $5 console holder, a rubber band on a cable tie will help, or at least, put the gauges, etc under the BC belt. No excuse for danglies!!!!!

Thalassamania:
Stromatolites were abundant in the Precambrian but are rare today (a few locations including where Perry's Caribbean Marine Research Station is on Stock Island in the Bahamas).

What a letdown!

All morning I have been in a real tizzy, anxiously awaiting the noon hour, so I could get back to this thread and see what you had to say about scientific divers with lots of danglies and really bad form. And THIS is all I get?:(

NetDoc: And then there are us DorkDIvers.

DivingsInMyBlood:
you figure that normally researchers and all would take care and protect the underwater enviroment more so than a a diver who goes somewhere sunny on their hoildays once a year and dives.

well, lemme play the dvil's advocate here and say, who cares if the octo is hanging 2 feet below a diver? just means he/she needs to be that much higher off the coral:D

NetDoc:
a lot of this improvement is due to :sblogo: and am quite proud of that!

omg...I just got a vision of netdoc now...going up to someone with a dangling octo and hitting it upside the diver's head, saying, "homey don't play dat...sto yo octo, chump!"

tough luvs.

DISCLAIMER: I daydream alot, and this vision is pure fiction.

AXL72:
well, lemme play the dvil's advocate here and say, who cares if the octo is hanging 2 feet below a diver? just means he/she needs to be that much higher off the coral:D

We all know that one person who will drag the octo and the SPG through the coral accidentally, but kill everything in their path, lol...

I dunno...you'd think researchers would be more concious about how much damage their doing...or could do...

shotthebreeze:
We all know that one person who will drag the octo and the SPG through the coral accidentally, but kill everything in their path, lol...

true dat.

good point

I am poor at playing the devil or his advocate.

How many of you divers that are extra carfull to keep danglies off the reef eat shrimp?
The shrimpers nets draging over the oceans bottom does way more destruction than a sport divers danglie. So as it is important not to drag your octo on the bottom you may do more good if you don't eat shrimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom