Can't believe what I am seeing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar
...But then the average sport diver probably doesn't know what a stromatolite is.

I have one; it has rechargeable batteries!

Do you have the owner's manual? I can't find the ON switch on mine.

-Mark-

Rockhound76:
This was a LONG time ago (I'm old...okay, not as old as you), but is was before lawyers ran the world and individual responsibility became passe'.
It's not question of lawyers and individual responsibility it is a question of individual responsibility to the sponsoring institution and to the people doing the work.

Rockhound76:
Our deep divers and tecktite divers were well trained--and had REAL institutional training. Those of us working shallow projects (collections, running vibra-cores) for the sea lab were also well-trained, or more correctly TESTED, but to my recollection, there was no handing out of of acronym covered papers to prove it--just a course in "Scientific Diving" that I enjoyed but didn't consider a "certification".
It's never been a "certification" in the sense that the recreational divers use the word.

Rockhound76:
Maybe it was the times, but I'm sure it wasn't the place....it has a great rep. I absolutely did not mean it to imply it was a cavalier culture, just an impoverished one...focused more on data collection than diving asthetics. To imply otherwise would be unfair of me.
I can understand that, when I spent a summer at Moss Landing Marine Lab they nicknamed me "Captain Nemo" because my gear looked like I'd been 20,000 leagues under the sea ... on foot.

Rockhound76:
To be honest, I would LOVE to take a course in UW archeology and do some volunteer diving. My guess is, they wouldn't want an old doofus like me....hehehe
Do it! My guess is that they'd love to have you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom