Can't believe NJ divers gave this thread a pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why bust on a guy for being scared of that 'big, salty lake' ? Besides, everyone knows Texas lakes are a dive mecca. :rofl3:

...besides who would want to dive on 1500 + wrecks! there just too many to say any one of them is a good dive!
see you topside! John

He's right... nothing to see here in Jersey...keep on moving. Just refineries and smoke stacks here. :wink:

NJ has a lot of wrecks, however from what I have been told from several Divemasters, Instructors and a couple Hard-hat guys; that the wrecks in NJ have been stripped by divers going... "Ohh, that would look good on my mantel" ...ripping off all thie nice features (even port holes). While also causing damage to the wrecks making them more hazardous for wreck divers.

I have no personal experience there...just what I have been told/informed of.

If it is true...that's a really sad thing. Why can't people look with their eyes and if they want something to put on their mantel...take a photo. :depressed:

NJ has a lot of wrecks, however from what I have been told from several Divemasters, Instructors and a couple Hard-hat guys; that the wrecks in NJ have been stripped by divers going... "Ohh, that would look good on my mantel" ...ripping off all thie nice features (even port holes). While also causing damage to the wrecks making them more hazardous for wreck divers.

I have no personal experience there...just what I have been told/informed of.

If it is true...that's a really sad thing. Why can't people look with their eyes and if they want something to put on their mantel...take a photo. :depressed:

You do realize that these wrecks are in salt water, right? Have you ever been diving out to these wrecks and see the consequences of what salt does to these wrecks? I'd much rather have a diver go down and pry out a porthole (which can be done because the salt in the water has corroded the holdings around the porthole, allowing it to be pulled out), preserve the porthole and put it on their mantle. If you had your way, that same porthole would disintegrate and all that would be left of it was a photo on some guys mantle. Every year these wrecks look different because they are deteriorating and holes opening up and/or collapsing.

Wrecks in fresh water . . . I agree with you and should (and most times are) left in tact. I've seen some very cool wrecks in the Great Lakes that are still in tact after many years because there is no salt to break them down.

So get over to the coast and go for a dive, but don't forget your hammer and prybar. :wink:

Franco

Fancousteau is right. While divers off NY/NJ have removed all the china and brass over the last 30 years there is still plenty to see and do on the wrecks. Most of the wrecks are debris fields anyway - and the ones that still look like a ship (i.e. the Stolt) are falling apart rapidly and will be junk piles in 20 - 30 years anyway. The most common thing removed from wrecks these days are tog and bugs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom