Canon G9 - images & impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

back from my 1st trip with my new camera

G9
Ikelite housing - no external strobes or lenses

I got the camera days before I left, so I was learning about it day by day. Very happy with the purchase.

Im still learning, I couldnt get a real good shot of any flatworms or nudibranch, they were always over/under exposed or out of focus. I just cant figure out why (I know next to nothing about photography, let alone UW photography)

The whole album is j_spot/Oahu 08 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

F3.5 1/200 ISO 80

Scorpionfish.jpg

F2.8 1/125 ISO 80
Scorpionfish2.jpg

F4 1/250 ISO 80
Turtlecloseup.jpg

F4 1/100 ISO 80
Turtle3.jpg

F2.8 1/200 IS80 80
Frogfish.jpg

I have tried to white balance in Lightroom with some success (some shots are in RAW some are not) and have cropped some of the photos.

Please give tips and critique. Can't wait to get back in the water, maybe have a strobe next time

Oh yea - if Im making another purchase, should I go for a strobe package or go flat port and wide angle? I likely cant afford both in time for my next trip (march)

GSB Diver, those Palau pics are stunning!

Nice work!

What housing do you have?

I just took my Canon G9 in the Patima housing with Inon Z-240 strobe to PNG and got some great shots. My problem was getting Macro shots. I could not get the camera to focus most of the time. I shot with the focus lights on and off, I used the macro setting and I tried the macro wet len but most of the time I was unsucessful. Do you have to use manaul focus with the little crittters or is there something I am missing?

Sharkray

I seem to have the same set up as you and so far have given it a try on a couple of local BC dives. macro focusing seems ok to me, certainly some issues with low light etc and things being out of focus but if I take my time it seems to work. I use the macro setting with a focus light. I have not tried a wet macro lens yet but will probably do so this weekend..

Are you using the Zoom?? (I'm not) the correct Patima port (not sure if it would make a difference)..

KLW

I just took my Canon G9 in the Patima housing with Inon Z-240 strobe to PNG and got some great shots. My problem was getting Macro shots. I could not get the camera to focus most of the time. I shot with the focus lights on and off, I used the macro setting and I tried the macro wet len but most of the time I was unsucessful. Do you have to use manaul focus with the little crittters or is there something I am missing?

I have also found the G9 to struggle focussing close up. My solution was to set one of the user modes (C1) to a "macro mode" - Manual focus (preset to 10cm), f8 aperture priority. Then it is quickly accessible and focus can be done by moving the camera slightly, or tweaking the MF distance.

It's not a perfect solution but I have got some nice shots from it.

Sharkray

I seem to have the same set up as you and so far have given it a try on a couple of local BC dives. macro focusing seems ok to me, certainly some issues with low light etc and things being out of focus but if I take my time it seems to work. I use the macro setting with a focus light. I have not tried a wet macro lens yet but will probably do so this weekend..

Are you using the Zoom?? (I'm not) the correct Patima port (not sure if it would make a difference)..

KLW
I am not using the zoom except to stop vignetting with the macro lens. I am having trouble even without the macro lens. I am using the regular port, not the flat port which I use for the wet wide angle lens.

I have also found the G9 to struggle focussing close up. My solution was to set one of the user modes (C1) to a "macro mode" - Manual focus (preset to 10cm), f8 aperture priority. Then it is quickly accessible and focus can be done by moving the camera slightly, or tweaking the MF distance.

It's not a perfect solution but I have got some nice shots from it.
That is one solution that I have not thought of. Sort of "bringing the mountain to Mohammed" method.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom