Canon G15 vs Sony RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

featherbrain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm brand new to the underwater photography world. Got burned with a Nikon AW100 that crashed after a half day of use. I'm interested in getting a better setup for underwater photography. I don't dive, just a casual snorkeler but am looking to get more serious about it. My photography would entail almost 100% fish since that is my main interest, so focus speed would probably be a key factor in my decision. I've read that the G series is not very good on focus speed but would be interested to hear anybody's opinion. I'm looking for a setup that would run around $1,000 or less. From what I can find, the G15 + Ikelite or the RX100 + Ikelite are the two that fit within my budget. I'm not set on either of those, so I'm open to other recommendations out there.

Thanks in advance!

If you want to buy new I would recommend for under $1000
Canon S110 in Canon OEM housing or ikelite housing
Panasonic LX7 in Ikelite housing

Or I am selling my Canon S95 with Recsea aluminum housing you can see it here
For $800 I can give you camera and housing and lens adapter with all batteries and other camera accessories you can then go hunting on ebay for Inon AD lenses that are value for money and give incredible results plus I give you all the tips to shoot great pictures just the spare parts batteries and orings are worth over $100 and are new

Also look for end of life offers of Fix housing and Canon S100 will cost 559 plus camera 280 plus lens adapter 160 = 1040

I will be getting my G15 in the water here shortly...

Awesome! I would appreciate your thoughts on the setup. I'm really liking the aperture at full zoom compared to the RX100.

Not for underwater zoom I guess as you won't be shooting at wide end with full zoom

Also consider 5x for outdoor is quite little, zoom cameras at 20x are more useful
Chile7236 have you got any wide lenses?

Yes but at full zoom the G15 is 2.8 vs the RX100 being at 4.9. That's a huge difference! I am very familiar with above water photography, so I know what 5x zoom looks like. I will be using zoom a lot since I focus mostly on fish and very little on macro stuff.

Are you getting the Inon mount base? What kind of try are you using?
I will get the inon mount base with my inon tray. already have a full inon tray set up so I save some $$$ there. I might get a new D4 base, tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom