Canon G15 vs Sony RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i read the review but it's hard to judge a review without UW pics...i'd like to see how the ZM80 does on the DC48 with the G15 as opposed to the Fuji f600exr he used. inon's pics look pretty good with it on the G15/DC48 combo.

Yes the inon set is nicer but all shot at f/8 with twin strobes a set up not all g15 users would have
Probably the lens has some limitations

i do :wink:

I usually don't fiddle much with controls, so what would I be missing out on by not having access to the front dial?

Featherbrain,

The way water absorbs light, you will want to learn how to use your white balance control feature. This means setting it underwater with a white reference board. Some cameras have built-in settings for Snorkel, but these are just a "standard" setting and do not account for the varying water conditions you might encounter.

I understand the urge to purchase a new camera set-up as I have been struggling with that myself for the last year (way too many posts asking which camera is better - LOL). But if you are budget conscious, I strongly suggest you look at Interceptor121's S95 set-up. The Canon S95 has a very good reputation for UW photos and his accessories are great.

Have a great day and good luck with your decision.

~Oldbear~

Featherbrain,

The way water absorbs light, you will want to learn how to use your white balance control feature. This means setting it underwater with a white reference board. Some cameras have built-in settings for Snorkel, but these are just a "standard" setting and do not account for the varying water conditions you might encounter.

I understand the urge to purchase a new camera set-up as I have been struggling with that myself for the last year (way too many posts asking which camera is better - LOL). But if you are budget conscious, I strongly suggest you look at Interceptor121's S95 set-up. The Canon S95 has a very good reputation for UW photos and his accessories are great.

Have a great day and good luck with your decision.

~Oldbear~

Thanks oldbear I really like the S95 and when I had a chance I choose that model instead of the one that was current S100 because I preferred a CCD sensor and a 28mm lens, just personal preference really

Some recent shots

Raja Ampat - a set on Flickr

Keep in mind I'm planning on sticking with just the camera and housing, no lenses or strobes (at least in the foreseeable future). That in combination with the fact that I will mostly be shooting at the telephoto end of the zoom makes me wary of the S100 and other similar models. Having a wide aperture while zoomed in is very appealing to me.

I'm not planning on shooting with the internal flash either. I don't dive, only snorkel, so I will rely on natural light. 95% of my shooting will be of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom