Canon G15 vs Sony RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, if I were to go with the G15, is there any reason that I should NOT go with the OEM housing vs the ikelite?

The oem housing is more than $300 less expensive than the ikelite housing and neither one gives you access to the front dial... but there are ways around this similar to those used with the G10 and G12. My friend bought the ikelite housing and said it's more bulky than the canon one.

Fantasea will be coming out with a housing for it around the end of March or sometime in April that will give you access to all of the controls including front and rear dial and should be priced somewhere between the canon oem and ikelite housings. It will be similar to the one they make for the nikon coolpix P7000 (think that's the model) , which you can view on their website.

So... if you are not planning on getting an aluminum one, then I would either get the canon oem one if you need it fairly soon or wait to see what the Fantasea one looks like if you won't be needing it until sometime in April

I usually don't fiddle much with controls, so what would I be missing out on by not having access to the front dial?

Those are great! Thanks so much for sharing. I think as of now I'm going with the G15. I won't be needing it til summer so I think I will stall a little before the purchase to see if the price comes down (or if anything new comes out).

Those shots are not better than your RX100 chile anyway if the limit is $1,000 which is not a lot I would not go for the RX100 and ikelite
Right now there are offers for the Canon S100 in Fix housing that cost less than $1,000 that is what I would get
And if you really want a G15 there are no advantages with Ikelite unless you have a wired strobe that probably if you are thinking of spending 1,000 is not part of your plans anyway
There is a review of the Inon Zm80 wide angle on deepshots not very positive though

Why would I go for the S100 over a G15? I understand that $1,000 isn't very much, but considering that it will only get used a few times a year, I consider it a lot! I have a very expensive setup for bird photography so I'm indulging a little bit to have that big of a budget for underwater stuff.

I wasnt expecting them to be better...just good enough for what I do...hobbyist photography.

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk 2

I would go for an aluminum housing that access all controls and also can take wide angle lenses as I found that shot after shot at macro or close range it gets a bit boring
close focus wide angle is not difficult and much more fun to shoot and watch later even when you don't have amazing fish life you only need a piece of reef and a diver if there is some fish better pretty much all diving location have that
Other times finding good macro can be a challenge depending where you are going and having only portraits is dull
of course just a matter or personal preferences
What instead is interesting is the panasonic LX7 with ikelite housing, you can put a dome on that one and at 24mm is wide enough for video and the macro is amazing out of the box, still no wide lens but 84 is ok for many situations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom