Canon G15 vs Sony RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're too far to shoot without zooming, you're probably too far to get decent pictures. Most people use zoom for macro subjects. Fish portraits should be shot from about 12-36 inches and for wide shots like a school on a reef you back it out to full wide. Super macro is generally right on top of the subject and you'll get a better picture with the internal flash and a small amount of zoom to get the shadow of the lens out of the light. If you're not interested in good pictures and all you want is to record your dive, you could get yourself a GoPro and shoot video.

No I'm not going to be "zooming down" on the fish. I've shot with a Nikon AW100 and I just free dove down to get good angles of fish, but I know I will need more than 28mm to get the type of shots that I want.

Skin dive and then take a picture with the zoom?

Yeah that's mostly what I do, dive down and take pictures with the zoom. My main purpose for photographing fish is not to get pictures that I can hang on the wall (though I do enjoy getting awesome pictures), but mainly to get good clear shots of the fish that I see. Nothing fancy.

Buy a Panasonic Ft-4 or an Olympus TG-1 that are waterproof
Or if you need zoom on land a panasonic tz30 that has 20x zoom and then at least you can use it on land for wildlife
The RX100 or G15 are not suitable to the use you have in mind

I'm trying to stay away from the waterproof cameras after having been burned with a bad AW100. I prefer to stick with something in housing since it seems to be more reliable. Why do you say the G15 or RX100 aren't suitable for me?!

not yet. gonna just test out the "bare camera" first. after I get the mount base for it, i'll decide on which WA lens.
Chile have you been able to find a WA lend for your G15??
I've been looking and asking around and so far none of the housings for the G15 allow for WET wide angle lenses to be installed. Recsea has a Dry lens port option for WA, but this is not an option for me (the one advantage of a compact over DSLR is that you can flip between macro and WA).
SO the RX100 trumps the Canon G15 on this issue big time. And as much as I really like the G15 (I currently have the G11 and love it), not being able to add a wet WA lens is a deal breaker. Yes yes I could go Canon S100 or S110 but the RX100 KILLS these two cameras, in my humble opinion.

Picked up the uwl100 zm80...gonna check it out this week

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

And yeah, the rx100 is the better camera but not so much that i hard time parting with it

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk 2

If you like macro, the G15 is your best choice as you can get by without adding a wet lens... unless you want supermacro.

You can change ports on the Recsea, Patima and Isotta housings to use a WA wet lens.
Fantasea has a wet WA lens for it... not sure about the viewing coverage since WA is not a major concern for me.

G15 has longer lasting battery.... a big plus for me.
The biggest reason for the G15, to me, is I just like canon digital cameras. :))

Back
Top Bottom